Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else flies something?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rizzo View Post
    I retired in 2010, for the last 10 years before retirement I flew one of Dassault's finest pretty much all over the planet.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why Gulfstream is so synonymous with high end private aviation, whereas by the numbers the Falcon 50 (and its newer variants) looks to be a superior airplane in terms of cabin dimensions, comparable speed, and can still go from NY to London non-stop for a much more fair price.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 05-04-2015 at 4:35 PM.

Been flying for 20 years, mostly SEL. I pretty much stay within 200 miles. I really just like joyriding.

My neighbor flies jets for a large corporation based in Milwaukee. I find the work pretty fascinating.

When I was young, thought that crop dusters were cool. Fortunately, I avoided getting into it. A buddy in college found a great deal on a Cessna, a few years after we graduated, he flew one way to Florida, went and bought the Cessna, and after he took off, found out why it was cheap. Managed to put it down without crashing, took off the fuel hose, blew through it and out came a bug. He still has the Cessna, but can't afford to put it back into use.

Never, ever buy a plane without a pre-buy inspection by an unbiased A & P.

I have a 1946 C-140 in my hangar that needs a new engine. I have too many hobbies, and kids in college, so it will have to wait.

I flew several jets in the Navy.

TA-4J's, in training, were the most fun. There is nothing like flying low-levels at the speed of heat.
    Flew S-3B's off the boat in the Red Sea during Desert Shield/Storm.
    Instructed for 4 years in the T-2C. Not pretty, but a great jet for teaching and inverted spins.

For two years, I flew Baron 58P's for the US Forest Service as a Lead Plane pilot over fires all over the west.

At my current job, I have flown the 727, A-300/310, and 777.

I am also typed in the 737, but have only "flown" the simulator.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Is Fly fishing counts? Always want to fly - but afraid of heights.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    TA-4J's, in training, were the most fun.
    Always liked the look of the A4. But I tended to like most Douglas aircraft (C-133 not included).

At my current job, I have flown the 727, A-300/310, and 777.

I am also typed in the 737, but have only "flown" the simulator.
    (Showing my age)
    My license says I have type ratings for:
    Douglas DC-3, 6/7
    Convair 240/340/440
    Lockheed L300 (C-141)
    Regards,
    Dick

Stumbled across this thread today. Got my SEL in 1978 and went to Army flight training the same year. Flew Kiowas, Blackhawks, Hueys for 12 years. Hired by Comair and flew for them over 23 years until Delta shut us down in 2012. Now past 65 and 18,000 accident-incident free flying hours behind me. Loved it, but enjoying being home most of the time instead of the other way around.

Not a pilot, but I thought this might be of some interest.

My son, who is in his middle 40's, had a 1948 Stinson, in beautiful shape. He recently traded it to another pilot for a 1940 Fairchild, which at one time belonged to Howard Hughes aircraft company. He has the original log books, new to now, showing it was purchased used by the government and used to carry messages for various VIP's during the war. It is in beautiful condition. Tim says his favorite feature is the roll down windows.

75 years old, that's older than even me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Always want to fly - but afraid of heights.

Ed.
    So am I.

The effect on your mind is different. 5,000 feet or 25,000 feet...it all pretty much looks the same. You don't even really appreciate ground proximity until you're down into final approach altitudes (~2000 above the ground).

I can fly approaches at low altitudes in turbulence for hours and it doesn't bother me. Now, rooftops and ladders? No thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    So am I.

The effect on your mind is different. 5,000 feet or 25,000 feet...it all pretty much looks the same. You don't even really appreciate ground proximity until you're down into final approach altitudes (~2000 above the ground).

I can fly approaches at low altitudes in turbulence for hours and it doesn't bother me. Now, rooftops and ladders? No thanks...
    Funny, I'm the same way. Never did like ladders and falling off one as a youngster didn't help. Thank goodness it was cold and I was wearing lots of clothes. Only PITA with turbulence is keeping heading and altitude in the right neighborhood.

Boy I'd sure like to hear the psychology behind this, I'm pretty much the same way. Can't stand ladders and nervous as hell when I'm on the roof. Can't stand tight enclosed spaces. But, stick me in a metal tube at 40,000' bouncing all over the sky, not a problem!
    Reality continues to ruin my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    So am I.

Well, in all fairness, ladders don't have much of a glide path

I found it amazing, in the smaller planes, when you pull the power, and do the math, it might take 6-7 minutes before you'll hit the ground, and that's from fairly low altitudes. 6 or 7 minutes to find a place to land is a lot more forgiving then falling off a ladder
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Well, everyone's always considered that I have an unnatural fear of heights, but I've never had any problem in an airplane, especially when I'm flying myself, and it really doesn't matter what I'm doing in it/to it. I think I actually have an unnatural fear of falling, which is generally not a problem in an airplane.

It's a bit out of date (I've upgraded my TPM panel) but here's an older shot of my "cockpit":

Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)