Thread: DC barrel clean out

DC barrel clean out

I just posted in off topic about JB Weld in regards to an easy way to empty out my 33 gallon steel barrel under ClearVue.
    Anyone have an easy way to clean out barrel? The JB Weld post has my idea for emptying out the darn barrel w/o a wrestling match
    my plan is to tackle it at 0500 tomorrow (I know-I'm not good at asking for help)
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Finally a solution (Gloat?)

After thinking about it for months, there is finally an 'easy' way to empty out the DC steel barrel @ bottom of CV cyclone.

(A bag in the barrel doesn't work so well.)

The issue has been how to upend the barrel so that the dust goes into a collection bag without getting all over, or having to wrestle the darn thing around the shop and throwing out my back.

Have a small manual winch on shop ceiling already.

Problem has been how to attach winch cable/strap to barrel without puncturing the barrel wall-any leakage totally screws up cyclone action.

Had the idea of an eye bolt and JB Weld-didn't appeal to me though. Slept another night on it.....

So, I drilled a couple of holes in edge and ran a cable through (w/o violating the inner lining of drum):

DSCN0442.JPG

You are looking at the bottom of the 30 gallon steel drum. The duct tape covers a small hole/black spot so that as the dust falls into a bag secured around the top of the barrel, air can come in.

Use the massive Contractor bags, give the dust a couple minutes to settle, and you're done.

I like to put black shrink tubing on the cable, then use Dremel cut off wheel. Makes a clean cut with no fraying or other things to stick my un-calloused hands.

Is this a gloat?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

my un-calloused hands
    Not a gloat here on this forum.

An even easier way to do it would be a strap around the bottom, duh.....
    David