Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with Resin Fan Housing

Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with Resin Fan Housing

I am new to the Creek and like many others am in the process of picking out a new dust collection system. I have been so lucky to have a wonderful wife, who recently agreed to turn my old 16X24 shop into a small guest space allowing me to build a much bigger 32x56 new shop! I am going to separate the building into two rooms - one for my tractor, lawn equipment etc and the other 26X32 area into my wood/welding shop. The shop is built the electricity is being done now and I am looking into dust collection. In the old small shop, I would either use my Festool CT36 for as much as possible or blow my chips outdoors for 'natural composting'. I want to go cyclone with fixed ducting in the new shop with the possibility of expansion in the future.

The Oneida folks are trying to sell me 5hp Super Dust Gorilla. I am almost sold on the unit, but have a little hesitation with the resin fan housing. I have also looked at the Grizzly stuff, but the really the 5hp units are almost identical in price even without the Hepa. I don't like the idea of the ClearVue MDF kit - just looks too High School shop for me (sorry ClearVue supporters). Does anyone have an opinion or experience with the newly designed SDG (resin fan housing) and do you all think this change has been done strictly to control cost or is there actually an advantage to it. Also, I want to know what you all think about spiral duct vs Nordfab vs PVC. I know I have asked a lot here, but there are many many threads on the subject, but the most recent is still a couple years old. I have a PM2000 table saw, 6" Jointer, 13" planer, miter saw, router table and belt sander as well as a wide assortment of festool stuff that will ultimately be hooked into the unit. I have plenty of head room (10' ceiling height) and new 200 amp service. I look forward to hearing everyones opinions or ideas on the matter. Thanks
    Last edited by Kevin Tulipana; 05-02-2015 at 3:43 PM.

I think that's overkill.

I had a PM66, 18" planer, 8" jointer. Never had a lack of air moving ability with a 1.5hp Oneida cyclone, using one machine at a time via 6" main pipe and 4" drops.

The catch is not losing airflow in the pipe. I used PVC. Grounded metal can work just as well, but seal the seams/joints, that's the key.

Welcome to SMC!

SMC's Search will find you many threads about your topic. Go up one level to the Workshops forum. Look to the upper right, and you'll see "Search this forum." Type in "resin", or whatever you like. I see several recent threads about the resin-body Oneida chip collectors.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2 hp unit and wish it was a 3. If space allowed a 5 would be a ok by me. Shop layout and duct path will drive the DC size along with machine requirements.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a 2 hp unit and wish it was a 3. If space allowed a 5 would be a ok by me. Shop layout and duct path will drive the DC size along with machine requirements.
    I'm much the same Glenn. Oneida sized my unit for me, it seems to be adequate but I do kind of wish it was bigger.

If I remember correctly the size of the shop, what tools does the collector need to cover, and how many people work in the shop were the main factors in sizing the unit.

Kevin - I don't know anything about the resin fan housing. Good luck with the purchase and the install.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 05-02-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    I'm much the same Glenn. Oneida sized my unit for me, it seems to be adequate but I do kind of wish it was bigger.

If I remember correctly the size of the shop, what tools does the collector need to cover, and how many people work in the shop were the main factors in sizing the unit.

Kevin - I don't know anything about the resin fan housing. Good luck with the purchase and the install.

PHM
    I agree with these guys, if you have the room and dollars, I'd go with the 5.

I also know nothing first-hand about the resin fan housing.

Blog Entries
    I just got a V-5000, which has the resin housing and cone. I can't see how you could ever break or wear out the resin housing. I think it would also contribute to a quieter collector because the resin is acoustically, quite dead. On the down side, the metal ones look better.

I haven't actually run mine yet though, so this is all just initial impressions.

Frank

I doubt you could wear it out. I have not worn out my clear view but I have worn out several dc hose going to the can.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I just got a V-5000, which has the resin housing and cone. I can't see how you could ever break or wear out the resin housing. I think it would also contribute to a quieter collector because the resin is acoustically, quite dead. On the down side, the metal ones look better.

I haven't actually run mine yet though, so this is all just initial impressions.

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    I doubt you could wear it out. I have not worn out my clear view but I have worn out several dc hose going to the can.
    Thank goodness for Frank and Steve. They have some valuable input that addresses your question. The rest of us were trying to help ;-) I didn't think about it but, while my machine is steel, my ducting is all ASTM-2729 and shows no signs of wear. I even have a plastic blast gate where my drum sander connects. This junction sees a lot of debris and although the plastic has a nice satin finish, the wear does not seem significant to me. The noise cancelling possibility that Frank mentions is atttractive too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a 2 HP Dust Gorilla in my 16 X 22' "mess making" room,where all my wood working machines are located. It is LOUD,LOUD,LOUD. Plenty of suction,but the noise is a nuisance. I wish I had it located in a little out building just on the other side of the wall.

Also,it may be a weak electrical part,but I can't turn the thing on more than 3 times in an hour.

Thank you all for the advice on the matter. There is only about a $220 difference (even with shipping) between the 5hp SDG and the 5hp V series. I think I will likely go with the SDG - it may be more machine than I need but I don't think I will ever with I went with something smaller. I just am not really sure why Oneida moved from metal fan housing and motor mount, to resin. It even looks like they have made this change on their Pro series units as well. I will plan to put my collector on the other side of a wall so it should cut down on noise.

I run aluminum shavings and all kinds of plastic and carbon fiber and other stuff through my clear view and it has held up and it is far quieter then metal.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Blog Entries
    Don't be afraid to put 26 gauge snaplock steel on your list of duct materials, several of us have gone that way and not regretted it.
    NOW you tell me...

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I piped my shop with Nordfab and I love it. A bit pricey is the downside. 5hp Oneida is in another room (corner of my hand tool area) and I close the door between that shop and the power tool shop when running the DC and that helps with the noise a lot. DC is the loudest machine I own.

Do you know if the SDG and the V5000 have the same size impeller? Far as pipe goes, if you can not find S&D pipe, check with your local Ace hardware, my local Ace is about the lowest on 26 gauge pipe and fittings. Snap lock. I would talk to the plumbing manager and see if they can get longer pipe lengths. Although the 2' pieces would work well for some runs.