Thread: Just realized something, I think

Just realized something, I think

Roger and others have me so pumped about the new Grizzly 766 shipping that I decided to take a look at the manual on line. Something odd (to me at least) caught my eye. In one of the pictures it shows a bowl being turned with the operator on the "back" side of the lathe. I have always worked from one side (front) of the lathe and wondered if I'm really in the right position. The picture shows the inside of the bowl being turned.

I have the ability to place my lathe in any position so I thought I would ask. Do you turn from both sides of the lathe?

Scott, I asked the same question about three years ago while waiting for my GO 698. I got a lot of interesting replies. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...athe/page3#top

I tried the lathe parallel to the wall, but later built an addition to the shop and put it there, even though the room wasn't planned for the lathe. It is still parallel to the wall and I don't really have room to stand on the "back" side. If I had the space, as it sounds like you do, I think I would try the 45 or 90 degree approach. Mine is bolted to the floor now, but I would suggest you try different positions before you make anything permanent.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I know a left-handed turner that puts the lathe in reverse and turns from the back side of the lathe.

I have mine perpendicular to the wall and move to the"other side" often, rather than leaning over the bed. The lathe is still turning in the normal direction, but it is sometimes easier to do a push cut from the other side, especially on platters with flat bottoms.
    Way south of most everybody...

If you look at the position of the gouge when you start hollowing a bowl, turning in reverse or from the back makes some sense if you can not slide the head to where you can stand at the rear.

Personally however I think that was taken by a photographer who wanted an action shot and to show the controls at the same time.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Scott, I've turned from the back side on other's machines but if I need to see inside better on my own lathe I will instead stand at the front but turn on the "back" side with the lathe in reverse. One reason is all the controls are on the front of my lathe and I think it unsafe to reach around and undesirable to walk around.

A bigger reason is I want my lathes up against a wall. I put everything I use most on the wall behind the lathe within arm's reach - sandpaper, calipers, tool rests, finishes, etc.. (Photo attached) I have been working, er, playing this way for many years and for me it is very efficient.

The wall is also a great place to mount lighting. Although I do have good lights on the ceiling above, I keep them off while turning since it is MUCH easier to see and judge compound curves (and scratches) with several smaller lights arranged around the work rather than a broad, diffuse light from far overhead.

JKJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Personally, even though I work almost exclusively from the left hand side of the bed (when facing the headstock), I like to be able to have full access from either side. I generally do more than half my work from the end of the ways, so having space at the tailstock end is mandatory for me. Right now, the way my shop is organized, the lathe is way too close to a wall/roll up door for about half the length of the bed. The tailstock end has much more room due to a 90 degree bend in the wall.

I'm in the process of planning out a new shop from the ground up and have decided that the lathe will sit about 4 feet from a set of hinged doors that open out to a view of the woods and creek. Full access all the way around. The rest of my woodworking equipment will be on mobile bases so they can be moved for best access as needed, then moved out of the way to make the most room for turning.

Is there any chance the chuck could loosen up on the shaft from the rotating forces in the opposite direction when turning on the back side in reverse? Any thoughts...

Paul

Is there any chance the chuck could loosen up on the shaft from the rotating forces in the opposite direction when turning on the back side in reverse? Any thoughts...
    Paul there sure is. If you run the lathe backward the chuck needs to be secured on the spindle with set screws, some call them grub screws. I usually sand some in reverse and try to remember to set the set screws, sometimes I forget.
    Fred

I usually stand on the "back" side to cut the inside of hollow forms. If I owned a lathe with sliding headstock, would not need to do that.