Thread: Craftsman 10" Compact Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Craftsman 10" Compact Sliding Compound Miter Saw

ww.sears.com/craftsman-cm-10-in-compact-slide-miter-saw/p-00940753000P?intcmp=crf-pdp-buy-cta

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it good or is it junk. It would not be every day machine.

I've never seen this model before, it must be very new. I tell you, I am actually very surprised that more companies have not introduced a minimal clearance type of saw. There are so many advantages, and no disadvantages that I have ever heard of with these types of saws when compared to traditional SCMP's. As for this particular model, I don't know. Sorry I can't be of any help.

I had the older single-bevel model, but it was not the "compact" design. I recently sold it and bought a DeWalt DW716XPS 12" Dual Bevel straight miter saw (no sliding capability). I found I hardly ever needed more crosscut capacity then the 12" saw could give me, so I was able to reclaim the extra space the slider took up, gain dual bevel capability and better dust control.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Troy

I have had this saw for about three weeks and have used it a lot. I researched it fairly carefully, and chose it because of reviews on-line, design, compact space requirements, and price. Also, I have been very satisfied with Craftsman power tools (luck plus careful selection). Most of the trash talk about Craftsman is not based in fact, except perhaps as regards availability of replacement parts if something breaks. (I have not had a problem with that.) I paid about $200 for this saw and bought an after-market Diablo crosscut blade. It was well packed and required minimal assembly. IMO this saw is certainly worth the money.

I am using it to cut segments that have to add up to exactly 360 degrees so I am very demanding about horizontal accuracy. It was accurate within .5 degree horizontally out of the box and was very easy to adjust to nearly perfect. So far it appears to be spot on vertically. Accuracy appears to be stable. I have not cut any thick hardwood (no 8/4 oak so far) but it appears to have plenty of power. It operates smoothly and so far I have not noticed any wander in the sliding mechanism. The dust bag is nearly useless. I hook up the dust port to my shop vac.

I'll be glad to answer any followup questions if I can.

Doug

Most of the trash talk about Craftsman is not based in fact, except perhaps as regards availability of replacement parts if something breaks.
    My Craftsman non slider CMS came apart in my hands when I picked it up by the carry handle to move it.
    I decided there's too many other quality saws out there so why bother to waste my money.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Well i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Craftsman's miter saw. Used it a little bit. Everything was very accurate right out of the box. Paid 179.50 seems like a good deal. But there is some cheapness to it, lots of plastic locking levers and such but then again didn't spend a fortune for it. So far very happy with it. A safety switch would be nice though.