Thread: Aspen Hollow Form Revised- Before and After Pictures

Aspen Hollow Form Revised- Before and After Pictures

This is the revised version of the earlier Aspen form I posted last week and after some suggestions from John Keeton, I made some changes. He quoted:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Your progress is quite impressive! Personally, I think you made the right decision on the direction of fade. I would offer two suggestions for consideration - both related. On the band, if you could pick up the dark and light shades of the finial and then make the beads black, or a very dark brown, I think it would tie the piece together and play off both the finial and the dark portion of the aspen.
    Well last night I was able clean all the wax off and airbrush the dyes (brown mahogany) into place. When I removed the masking tape, I was stunned with the results. Some here may have different opinions, but to me, this made it all come together and makes the vessel itself pop and come to life.

Masked and airbrushed very lightly color into the texture area and highlighted with Antique Gold Metallic. Re-masked both beads and sprayed heavy to match lower lid color.

So here's a side by side and would sure like to hear honest opinions of what you think. Thank you!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, what a difference. I really like the after!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

That really is some nice work Steve. The band didn't do much for me before but it really pops now. Really sweet.......

It really works very well, nice work.

does not surprise me that John knew the "cure". looks so much better! good job!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

You nailed it this time, much better now.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

I agree, the black band makes the eye jump to the bead which I never actually noticed the first time I viewed it.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

As I said before - a color needs to be repeated unless it is the focus of the piece, or some compelling reason. This definitely ties the piece into a coherent whole, though I would still like to see the lid set down a bit so that the line flowed better.

Excellent work.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I definitely like the "after" photo!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

10. Super revision, Steve...........much better congruence, with the color & pattern. Nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Steve, your years of taxidermy and skills using colors and the airbrush have served you well!! I think this is not only a striking improvement, but very well done.

Regarding Thom's comments on the fit of the finial base, I think a finial should either be inset and flush with the form or the transition should be celebrated in a manner befitting the work. The vast majority of the pieces I have sold with finials/lids have been done just as you have done. Very few were inset and flush. Aside from the fact they seem to be accepted in the market place, I do this for two reasons. Most all of them have contrasting finials - either a different wood or color from that of the form. Insetting them just doesn't seem to add anything to the piece. Secondly, the opening or fit of a form and finial is likely to move regardless of the state of dryness, and an inset, flush fitting lid will show that change, whereas a base that overlaps the opening will mask any change. I do mine exactly as you have - with an inverted chamfer. I can't tell from the pic, but it might be that the angle of your chamfer is a bit more acute and perhaps that is causing some to perceive it as a disruption in the flow.

I think this is an excellent piece and one of which you should be proud.

Thank you to all that replied, and looks like we all agree that John's suggestions of the color changes are working in favor here.
    John, thanks for kind words. I got the undercut on the lid from you a while ago back when I did the rounded edge and I agree to that this works better than the round one on a lid type form. Here's the one I did before with the flush line and I'm thinking Thom is preferring this look. To lower the lid anymore on the new one would be to make it flush as the lip is less than an 1/8", in fact, the top of the finial stem is exactly 1/8" and as you can see, the lip is less than that.

Thom also point out in the other post: "I also like the tip of the finial - gives it a personal touch. I think everyone should strive to develop their own design, even if it is only a small element."
    I agree, its like a small personal style that's like a signature to your work. One things for sure, I have learned so much from all of you and have to thank you all for my progress in turning!!
    hollow-vessel-3.jpg

Steve, I'm going to be honest here. When I first saw your piece, I took a brief look, though, "ehh" and didn't give it a second look - until now. Now that you have made the new changes, I think, "Wow!" I have to look at this some more. Your finial is spot on. I like the base of the finial and the transition to the thinner section. The airbrushing adds just that much more. Then, with the changes that John suggested and your amazing skill to perform the changes makes for a stunning piece. Now, I like everything about it. This piece is very well done.

Very well done, Steve. Form and finial are excellent, and with the added suggestions from John and your obvious abilities, this really is a piece to be proud of.