Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finishing cuts

John-
    Circling back on this.

Just wanted to say thanks for this tip. When I started out turning I experimented with using a card scraper on turnings. However, I wasn't very good at using the lathe or the card scraper at that point.

This weekend I had a chance to revisit your technique above. Properly sharpened, I was amazed at how well the card scraper worked. I was able to keep my lathe spinning on it's slowest speed and got great wispy shavings. It smoothed my tool marks, and allowed me to start sanding with 180 grit. I have never been able to do that.

I had better luck on the outside of the bowl. I had moderate success on the inside (with a gooseneck scraper) - enough that I will definitely use this technique from now on - but the shavings don't clear as completely, so I quickly encountered some chatter. I think this is because my lathe doens't spin that slowly on its slowest setting.

Anyway. Thanks again...

John, I've seen the curved card scrapers both in the 3" or so size and some minis that are about 1" or so. What size do you use the most, or better put if one was to buy only one size which size would you recommend?

Alex, when I'm using softer woods I find that a coat or two of sanding sealer and then very light cuts works well for me in most circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    John, I've seen the curved card scrapers both in the 3" or so size and some minis that are about 1" or so. What size do you use the most, or better put if one was to buy only one size which size would you recommend?
    I use the smaller ones the most, except for flatter surfaces like platters and wings of squarish things I often use a large scraper with a very slight radius like the large one in the left of this photo:

scrapers_.jpg

Note that you can take old scrapers, maybe from a yard sale, and cut and grind them to any shape, just be careful not to overheat. I like the thicker scrapers are better. This was the first one I ever used on a woodturning, cut from a large curved scraper with a metal-cutting disk on a Dremel then touched up on a grinder.

scraper_PB054025_s.jpg

I sharpen these and roll up a cutting edge just like cabinet scrapers have been sharpened since the beginning of time.

JKJ

Thank you John. Now I know what I'm going to get for myself for my birthday this weekend :-)