Thread: A murder of crow calls

A murder of crow calls

Started on these this weekend and finished them up today. I've spent every free minute I had this week to get 41 crow calls turned out.
    Jack

Really nice looking but.........

who needs 41 crow calls?

why would you call a crow?

The most I have ever made at one time was 12 for a customer. I think they are used in conjunction with turkey hunting, not positive but that is what I have heard. I have one that I set out at a show and it is missing the reed. Kids like to pick them up when you are with other customers and strange thing happen. I buy mine from Hut Industries, but would like to replace the reed.

Nice calls you have made. Let me know if my assumption is correct.

They are used for locating male turkey's during turkey season as well as for hunting crows. I sell most of them to an online store that sells crow hunting items. I make my own mouth piece which takes around 6 times as long as it takes to turn out the body of the call.
    Jack

Nice calls!!
    I bet most people don't know what a murder of crows is, lol. I do!!

Those are beauties! Do I see dogwood mouthpieces?

Crows are seen a nusence(sp) birds in some southern states, like Oklahoma and are called in and shot. Too many crows are not good for row crops.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Ted, The mouth pieces are all made of red cedar. The white ones are from the sap wood area of the tree. Red cedar tends to have enough oil in it to help make it stable even when becoming moist from use. It also is much easier for me to split with a thin kerf saw in the process of making the mouth pieces.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Nice calls!!
    I bet most people don't know what a murder of crows is, lol. I do!!
    I didn't until a few months ago. I know my wife thinks we, my son, daughter and I have a warped sense of things, but we all liked watching Sons of Anarchy and in the last episode one of the theme songs concerned a "murder" which turned out to be a murder of crows, ie SAMCRO. You wont get this unless you were an SOA fan.