Thread: Kitchen Layout Question

Kitchen Layout Question

Talking over the layout with the wife last night, we were stuck on whether the wall oven or the refrigerator should be up against the wall, shown in my layout at the bottom.

If you put the frig up against that 4’ wall, you won’t be able to open the door past 90 degrees, it will hit the wall. If you stick the wall oven on that wall, then when you open the oven, you can only access it from one side.

I was thinking of sticking a pantry in that corner, refrigerator cabinet in the middle, wall oven on the end, closer to the countertops also.

Thoughts?

THX

layout.jpg

Do you already own the drop-in cooktop and a wall oven indicated in the drawing? If not, then it seems like a standard combined oven/cooktop unit would fit best into your overall plan, especially when there appears to be limited space. With the refrigerator and wall oven pushed out to that far wall, your "work triangle" seems a little too stretched out, especially when you'd have to cross the traffic flow from the door to reach those items.

Have you considered putting the fridge in place of where your plan currently shows the 24" and 18" base cabinets? This configuration would let you use the whole bottom wall for cabinets and pantry space.

Also, unless you're including a center island, one thing I'm not seeing is open prep and working space.

I had similar thought about moving fridge to the area where base cabinets are. But, it looks like that isn't a full height wall and has bar attached to it??? Fridge would be better closer to the sink since you usually take things from fridge to sink for washing.

How about moving wall oven to end of small cabinet beside cooktop and center fridge on wall it is on.

As, Mike Ontko mentions, a combined range might work better given the size of area.

Won't comment on overall plan but, from experience, I would advise against the refrigerator against the wall. You will be surprised by the number of times you need to get the door past 90 degrees to remove/change racks, fit large trays in the frige, etc. You never notice until it is too late.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Justin Put the refrigerator in the middle the doors for the refrigerator will work better if you put the refrigerator against wall you're going to have to pull it out to got that one door all Way open to get the crisper out this comes from p
    years of experience
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Our kitchen is laid out in a very similar manner to yours, the wall oven is in the corner and it works well, there is plenty of room to stand in front of it while the door is open. I'd suggest getting a side-by side fridge though, as ours is a standard freezer on top model and when the big door is open it does get in the way.

This is the only picture I have handy, and I hadn't finished doing the drywall in it. Afterwards we moved the fridge next to the wall.

Thanks for the advice so far.....

This layout is a combination of a small kitchen, and an open concept that the wife definitely wants, see watches too much Property Brothers.

With that being said, no walls on either side, except for the 42" one previously mentioned on the right for a breakfast counter.

For the cooktop / range idea - with the open concept idea, she didn't like a hood hanging down, so a downdraft cooktop was really our only option.

What about swapping the frig and wall oven? The oven doors open down so being up against a wall doesn't matter.

We have a tiny wall oven my wife doesn't like and a cooktop. But instead of being practical and going with a nice range she wants a double wall oven that will get used maybe twice a year. Cost will be 5X a range. It's not a done deal yet but I haven't won many of these discussions.

I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago Jim, really didn't want a double wall oven either for two times a year. At first I thought I lost, until I reminded her that her open concept left no wall space for a wall mounted microwave, so I showed her a picture of a wall oven/micro combo, and she was OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    What about swapping the frig and wall oven? The oven doors open down so being up against a wall doesn't matter.

We have a tiny wall oven my wife doesn't like and a cooktop. But instead of being practical and going with a nice range she wants a double wall oven that will get used maybe twice a year. Cost will be 5X a range. It's not a done deal yet but I haven't won many of these discussions.

We currently have a down draft range we installed in early '90s that is in a peninsula. Planning to replace it soon by moving to an exterior wall and using a hood. We hate the down draft. It sucks way too much heat from under pots/pans. It is a Jenn Air...not sure if down draft ranges are still available.