Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starrett pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Obviously Myk is right, but I either have to change how I say my wife's name, or stick with star-ette. Probably going to just continue to say it wrong.
    Your wife is named Starrett?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Your wife is named Starrett?
    LOL, no just Starr.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Exactly. If I got upset every time someone called me Lugwid, Loodwick, etc, I'd be red-faced. If I wanted to get technical, I'd have to pronounce it correctly myself, according to its German origin. As they say, "Just don't call me late for dinner."
    For sure, many of us have grown up with Americanized pronunciations of our last names. Heck, mine lost a full syllable. I think lots of families ran with the new pronunciation because as life wasn't so good in the old country, it was a symbol of a new beginning when they got here. Welcome to the wild west of grammar!