Thread: Elm Burl NE Bowl

Elm Burl NE Bowl

This is a natural edge elm burl bowl with a walnut oil finish. It is 8.5 inches at its widest and 2.5 inches at its tallest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Bouder View Post
    This is a natural edge elm burl bowl with a walnut oil finish. It is 8.5 inches at its widest and 2.5 inches at its tallest.
    Nice potato chip kind of bowl Toby, very well done with keeping that flakey bark on
    Have fun and take care

Yes, great looking bowl and you got to love that edge. I'm wondering about the color being kind of yellow from what I see. I'm going to guess this is the Chinese elm? The stuff I have is Siberian and appears to be more brown, or could your coloring come from the walnut oil? Either way, nice looking piece and nice work Toby!

Very well done, Toby. Like Leo mentioned, quite impressive retaining the bark.

Thanks for the compliments. The walnut oil did yellow the wood somewhat. I obtained this wood when I spotted two guys clearing their pasture so I stopped to see if there was anything interesting. All of the downed trees did not impress me but there was this one tree leaning at about a 60 degree angle that had smallish burls all over it. So I asked if I could have that one. They didn't want to cut it down because it was leaning over the fence, so I said well how about this one branch? They cut it off, cut it into about 4 foot lengths and carried and loaded it into my truck for me. Real nice people, and we were complete strangers. Anyway they didn't know what kind of tree it was and as it didn't have leaves yet, I guessed it was some kind of maple. When I finally started turning some I discovered it to be elm. I think it may be American or white elm. I will soon go back to give them a thank you piece and verify the species now that it has leafed out.