Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watchful Pi....I mean Eye.....

Yup, it's not much to it. You need to download the OS from onto a SD card (or micro), plug the camera and other stuff in, turn it on, type a couple of commands that are well documented, and you're set. You can't hook but one camera to each Pi, so you couldn't do 3 cameras with this setup.

I did it like this because I have about 8-10 Raspberry Pi's and probably more Arduino's sitting around. A customer owed me money and paid me Arduino's one time

There is no coding involved, unless you wanted there to be.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    A fire. Toasted my tables, but didn't mess with the motion control system. And we watch over it like a hawk.
    I'm always worried about that when cutting, sorry to hear that happened to you. Glad your motion system is ok. What was cut that caught fire?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    I'm always worried about that when cutting, sorry to hear that happened to you. Glad your motion system is ok. What was cut that caught fire?
    I had cut a lot of acrylic that had small holes in it, and they fell down into the honeycomb grid. I went to the next job which was 1/8" thick rowmark, and while cutting that, it set the acrylic scrap under the honeycomb on fire, that burned really hot until it caught the rowmark on fire. It was burning under the top surface. We looked at it and all was okay. 10-15 seconds later, it finally broke through the surface of the rowmark and was about the size of a small frying pan. A water bottle handled the fire really quickly, but the heat from the burning acrylic melted the rulers and buckled the stainless table, along with melting the honeycomb grid.

We were literally standing right there. It was that fast. No big deal. I trip to the automotive paint store, a few hours, and some parts, and it's as good as new
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That is pretty neat I was looking into getting a Pi and using octoprint for my new laser. Looks like I could do something like this if I go that route.
    Epilog Mini 18 30 watt
    GCC Pinnacle/Laser PRO Mercury 25x18 30 watt (J48-2S Tube is down)
    Corel Draw X5

Have you ever thought of installing some infrared and temp sensors to an alarm or laser shutoff? You could probably wire it into the door open circuit Got to put that Pi to some good use =)
    Epilog Mini 18 30 watt
    GCC Pinnacle/Laser PRO Mercury 25x18 30 watt (J48-2S Tube is down)
    Corel Draw X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walmer View Post
    Have you ever thought of installing some infrared and temp sensors to an alarm or laser shutoff? You could probably wire it into the door open circuit Got to put that Pi to some good use =)
    Temp sensors are already in the works Joe Our Universal has a built in sensor, so we'll just go off that idea. Now, having witnessed an actual fire, I have a good idea on what's going to detect it better, what to use and where to put it. I'll update this thread as progress continues.

I went ahead and bought a pi and camera myself after seeing this, I think it's a brilliant safety feature! Trying to mount it now, but I have not figured out where to place it so it won't be in the way and also how to run the cable through the machine to the outside. Mind posting a photo of how you ran the cable out the back of your laser and placement of the camera?

So I have the newest Raspberry Pi and all the stuff, even came with a WiFi dongle for a USB port, so If I add the camera can I stream a wireless video to my cell phone? I suppose I can do some online searching but maybe the answer I get here will relate somewhat to lasers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Great idea Scott!

Can your TV handle PiP? If so, and since you have a couple of Pi's hanging around, how about a camera under the honeycomb to catch a fire down below like you experienced?

Also, you mentioned trying the camera outside the cover so you could catch the whole table in one image, but that glare from lights on the cover prevented that? How about a polarizing lens in front of the camera. An el cheapo would probably do it?

Great ideas!!!!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I have no idea what a raspberry pi is but I like it!!!! Been looking at video monitored options for safety reasons myself. Thanks for sharing!
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

I use two security cameras and they go to 2 different monitors on our different desk and remote access any time.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)