Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: friendly conversation on A2 and chipping

Blog Entries
    Thanks Matthew! If you dont mind my inquiry, what was the angle you ground that on?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    That's about the ergonomics. It's about how it feels, and how effective your effort behind the handles is. Very legitimate stuff. But I don't yet see how that influences the movement of the steel through the wood, in a handplane. In a chisel the ergonomics and the user skill certainly influence the cutting action. But in a plane? With a reasonably skilled user? The iron is firmly attched in a solid construction pushed firmly again down on the wood. I think the cutting geometry of the edge is a lot more important.
    I don't want to have a debate, but Derek has a point. how much of your force is directed in the x-y changes with handles. Minute effect in cutting IMO, but it is very evident for example on saws, two saws filed exactly to the same configuration (teeth) can feel and perform differently with different hang angles.

inb4 someone states that even with different handles one can change the vectors, because it is a valid point.

Pedro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks Matthew! If you dont mind my inquiry, what was the angle you ground that on?
    I sharpen it with a single convex bevel, the final edge is between 30-33. I know 35 and it's lower than that.

With saws absolutely Pedro. You could even snap a tooth when putting way too much energy into the handle. In a plane you would only create more friction under the sole. Chisels and saws are different from planes in that regard. A plane is a jig for a chisel so to speak.

But I certainly believe that good ergonomics makes a difference how the user feels the cut.