Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Recommendation for a newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Cutters are currently a 180 watt 1200 x 900 and the biggest is a 220 watt 2,500mm x 1,525mm in Chinese, Western I have 2 much smaller ULS models both with 80 watt tubes and an old Epilog that just sits there waiting to be fixed, Japanese I have a 3.2m x 2.5m 7.5kW industrial. Usual sundry 300 x 300 Galvo machines (x 2) (Chinese one Fibre,one CO2)(oh, and a broken diode fired YAG) having just gotten rid of my bigger Vytek moving bed model that never got used after it's initial job it was purchased for.
    Nice stable of lasers you have there. I hadn't even considered the Chinese for Galvo, I could desperately use one but cannot afford a $40k-$50k U.S. one.

As for the OP I'd still stand by my US machine for his first given what he's engraving. I've been extremely happy with my machines and the support.

However, I think this has been a really eye opening thread. You (Dave), Kev, and George have really opened my eyes to the possibility of a Chinese laser for cutting along side my Trotecs for engraving. Thanks for that!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Hi Keith,

Chinese CO2 Galvos run about $6k for a 300 x 300 bed size.

Just going to have a look at the new Trotech cutter 3m x 2m bed flatbed but it's probably going to be in the same price range as a full spec Japanese 2.5kW flatbed. 11 of my lasers are Chinese but I tend to agree, the OP should be looking at a Trotech rather than Chinese for his first mnachine
    You did what !

Dave we talking fiber Galvos for marking stainless steel?

Fibres run about $8k or so for a 30 - 50 watt I believe, few issues with some of the vendors though, if you go down that road let me know and I'll advise of some of the pitfalls you may have
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Three things, Trotec's don't cost $35,000, I doubt that it was $4,800 to your door, and where's it $5,000 to fix a Trotec
    Thing one:
    So what DOES an 80watt Trotec with a reasonably large table cost? I know it has to be high-20s low 30's...

Thing two:
    Yes, $4800 to my door:

Triumph 1390, 80 watts, all 1112 pounds of it: $3050 (it was actually $2900, the extra was spare lens & mirrors)
    Shipping from China: $520
    CTL LAX brokers: $957.87
    Customs fees: $135.56
    Wire transfer fee: $45
    Storage fee at warehouse: $20
    U-haul to get it home from warehouse: $35

Grand total: $4763.43
    And when I say it's paid for itself many times over, I ain't jokin'... This was also the only piece of equipment I paid cash for...

Thing 3, posted above in this very thread, see bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Harris View Post
    Here's the deal - USA lasers cost much more than a Chinese laser. They're better lasers! On the other hand, if that's all you want to do, a Chinese laser would do it a ton cheaper. Thing is, you'll come up with something else and a Chinese laser might not be the best. Your call indeed!

The Trotec laser at work just broke and they're talking 5K to get it fixed. BUT, it's been a good one! I paid 7K to get a Chinese laser that I had trouble getting in the house...in fact...I'm on "cold taters" for buying something that large. I've made my wife a few items but she seems unimpressed at the moment. I'm sure getting tired of cooking and eating from this card table in the kitchen. Should have measured closer....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We get it, if you had to buy a laser, you'd buy a Chinese one. We get it. That doesn't make people who don't buy your strategy stupid. If we went with your strategy, and assumed you are running 1/2 the machines you say you keep busy, that would be 6 machines that you keep busy every day. You said you work 18 hour days, so 6 machines at 18 hours, that's 108 hours of billable work each day. At $60 per hour, which would be 1/2 our shop rate, that would be $6,480 per day, $32,400 per 5 day week, and $1,684,800 per year. All done by one guy keeping 6 out of 13 machines busy every day.

I have yet to met anyone in ANY manufacturing that's producing $1.6M in billable work per person.

If that was the case, I seriously doubt you'd be buying refurbished computers to run your machines off of, or looking for the cheapest "(insert tool here)" you can find.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Cost me £15,000 to replace a lens cartridge on the mitsu but I don't think I'll be trading it in to get a couple more Chinese machines any time soon
    You did what !

Fibres run about $8k or so for a 30 - 50 watt I believe, few issues with some of the vendors though, if you go down that road let me know and I'll advise of some of the pitfalls you may have
    Thanks Dave! I will reach out to you in a few months on this when we are ready!

Dave, can you list a few names of the Chinese fiber galvos that you think are worth a second look? I'm not quite there yet, but am looking toward the future (next 6 months to a year). The Trotec still has a chunk of my money tied up, but I'd definitely consider a Chinese fiber galvo. I'd like an enclosed if possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jacob John; 12-31-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

I'm not gonna debate whats better, I went Trotec and still think its the best decision i ever made, granted i'm on the other side of that large pond so my choices are not as vast as the US and my prices are higher but I still feel from the support i have gotten from Trotec with the usability and stress free use of the machine has made my venture into this business a smooth one.

Jack
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

11. Anyone knows what the black powder would be that is mentioned in the startpost?

Quote Originally Posted by Giles Duinslaeger View Post
    Anyone knows what the black powder would be that is mentioned in the startpost?
    You might look into this:

http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-21.HTML