Thread: Basswood

Basswood

I have several 2x4x8' pieces of basswood. The wood is very soft. I know that turners and carvers like the wood, but I'm not sure what else it is good for. Is it ever used in furniture making? Should I just advertise it for sale to turners and carvers?

I've heard someone here mention that they use it for drawer boxes. I kinda like the idea and may give it a try since I have a local source. I normally use hard maple for drawers, but with soft close under mount glides, I think the basswood would be just fine.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I made a giant artwork frame by ripping a 2"X6"X8' into 2"x2" strips. Frame was 86"x30". Basswood kept the weight reasonable.

Basswood is one of my favorites. I have used it for many years for drawer boxes (I may be the guy Joe heard from on the subject) entire T&G ceilings, raised panels for doors, among others - as it mills easily - including hand cut dovetails - finishes clear like maple but with more even grain and nearly knot free, is light weight and just looks great with a light golden even color finished with a clear coat.

Having said that, I don't know what I would do with a couple of 8' 2x4s of basswood - kids toys or or some sort of carving are a few that come to mind - the art frame is a good idea too.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Also used to make plantation window shutters

Basswood is easy to work with and paints well. I recently built 20 puzzle frames for a neighbor friend of mine. I was please with it for that application.

Blocks for kids or giant laser engraved scrabble tiles?