Thread: Best ever base for waterstones

Blog Entries

Best ever base for waterstones

I bought the stainless steel base that Stu sells at www.toolsfromjapan.com and absolutely loved it, and just bought two more. I plan to order one with each order until I have one for home, one for the shop, one for the boat, one for students... Ok actually the reason I like more than one is when I am sharpening knives for chefs and doing a lot of sharpening or teaching sharpening I like to have each stone in a base rather than swapping back and forth. Really you only need one, but don't tell my wife that.

The stainless obviously has the advantage of being stainless, but also the action of the threads is very smooth as opposed to a plated thread. They loosen and tighten with ease. I am just sharing this for anyone thinking about getting a base for waterstones or oil stones. This is the best I have found. It is around $30 with today's exchange rates. The stainless is not the cheap Home Depot pseudo-stainless steel but more like marine grade stainless, both the rods and the knobs.

By the way, Stu sent a letter to me saying he was delayed in getting the items in my order and would upgrade the shipping. I wrote back saying these were not urgent and so he didn't need to but he sent it EMS anyway and I got them a few days later. Add me to his fan list.

Image shows the one that is about 6 months old and lives in a humid environment. As you see, I use and abuse it. Students do too.

image.jpg

Blog Entries
    The white stains are actually slurry that I didn't clean off before the picture was taken. I wanted to show that despite use and abuse it has not rusted. The dark spot on the steel is where the slurry dried with metal bits in it. Stainless will rust if not exposed to oxygen, and I was not sure how the parts under the rubber would hold out, but so far so good.

I've been working out of the boxes my Shaptons come in, but there are times the access isn't as free as might be ideal. e.g. the lid has to be kept low when flattening them - or else lift the stone out.

What do you reckon are the advantages Malcolm? Do they have to be used on an accurately flat surface?

Blog Entries
    The real advantage is just a more stable base that doesn't slide on the bench top and that the stone stays put in. There are many ways to skin a cat. A board with a wood strip to hold the stone also works well. These are portable for taking to classes or from one place to another and they are solid built. Changing stones, regardless of the size of stones, is easy. (Like when going between two brands of stone that are two different sizes.)

Blog Entries
    I use those for my flattening plates. They are really nice.

I use the Veritas stone pond for my stones. I find the stone pond helps contain the mess some.

PHM

I was just thinking about cost and flatness/risk of causing a crack or something Malcolm - although so far the Shaptons seem to be very rigid. The middle pad would need to accurately in the same plane as the end ones to eliminate any potential for rocking etc. They look very nice.

Trouble is as you say that buying one for each stone runs into a bit of money, but they are verrry nice...

The Shaptons by virtue of not liking soaking for more than about 10 min may confuse the issue i think Paul regarding the use of a pond. (?) Either way they produce loads of mess...

I like mine too.

I have the same base. Some other advantages are that it raises the stone off the work surface just over an inch to the top of the stone. This helps when tuning up the bottom side of chip breakers as you can get a better angle. The rubber also dampens any vibrations and lessens the noise a tiny bit. I do my sharpening in the bathroom next to the sink. This lets me rinse any guides and tools off that I might be using between grits. I've had no issues with the Shaptons flexing. If yours are then your pressing too hard. I've also noticed no rust on this holder. All in all its a very nice tool.

I've had no issues with my Shaptons at all Eric. I asked the question only because the stands had a mid point support as well as at the ends, which might open the possibility if everything wasn't accurately machined or supported of the stone rocking between them. Which might not be an issue at first, but might later (don't know - haven't got that far yet) when the stone has worn down to the point of starting to get a bit thin.

I still use drawer liners to keep my stones in place.

No adjustment required for different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    I've been working out of the boxes my Shaptons come in, but there are times the access isn't as free as might be ideal. e.g. the lid has to be kept low when flattening them - or else lift the stone out.

What do you reckon are the advantages Malcolm? Do they have to be used on an accurately flat surface?
    Ian, you are aware that the Shapton stones also fit into the recess at the top of the plastic box? This acts as a holder.

Malcolm, I like the idea of stainless steel on those holders. I have the non-stainless variety (used with Sigmas), and they crust up and then require cleaning with a deburring wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek - I'd missed that the lid was set up to function as a stone holder….