Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bottle stoppers

I'm not disagreeing - my point was that the metal expansion contraction is fast compared with seasonal wood movement and in wood/metal connection should be considered. Especially with an item that is subject to rapid temperature changes. The size of the object makes the total movement negligible in any case.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I cannot help be fascinated by Bottle Stopper discussions. I use threaded stoppers (3/8 x 16tpi) and pre tap the wood / square up the bottom in step one. Then reverse onto a 3/8" cut off bolt used as a mandrel. Turn a pleasing shape and apply finish.
    Thread the finished wood or composite stopper onto the metal threaded post and it is all done....
    Decorative stoppers are primarily for red wine that sit on the counter overnight. The people that try to place wine in the refrigerator laid down are just asking for leaking problems.
    I suggest to my customers that the "decorative" stopper is for use sitting upright on the counter!!!
    If they want to seal bottles in the fridge then buy an expanding stopper from Walmart.
    Just my thoughts.
    Peter F.

I have no problem telling people that they can lay the bottles on the side in the fridge with the silicone stoppers. We do it all the time at home. I have only ever had one leak and trust me that is with a lot of testing. I wouldn't probably recommend that practice with Ruth's style of stainless stopper but then again I've never tried it.

Michael

Michael,

At one time there was a statement on Ruth's website saying they had been tested in a horizontal position. I haven't looked for the statement recently.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....