Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Organiser

Tool Organiser

The tools I use on a daily basis end up littering my work bench or getting lost under something, and its too much work using a toolbox so I put a little effort in today and made an organiser. I skipped 3D cad and just drew it on Corel draw which I think was a lot faster for a simple item like this. There are no screws or glue, its all very tight fitting Here is a picture, I am really pleased with it. I think I am going to save a lot of time not looking for tools.

Tool_Holder.jpg Tool_Holder_side.jpg

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Great idea, nicely done!

You are entirely too organized for me but nice design and execution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very nice, I'm a firm believer in the practice of "everything has its place", it frustrates me to have search around for one of the tools of my trade.
    I would like to hear more about the Specs, what wood and thickness along with the joint type that you used.
    Thanks, Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Really nice and clean work. Being able to cut something out like that straight from Corel is a real skill. Last jig I made I had to recut some parts to get it to fit together right. Any tips on executing on a projects like this and getting things to line up? What kind of wood did you use?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Would you like to share the file so some of us other slobs can pick up a little
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That is awesome --- 5 Stars

Gozzie
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

I have attached toolbox_10.cdr saved in an old format for you guys with the old Corel draws. It was constructed with 9mm mdf.

Here is the process I used to make it.

I laid out the tools and measured the vertical spaced and width needed. With just these few dimensions I laid out the large back panel with a handle. While that was cutting I measured all the tools on the top shelf and laid it out. This had some dimensional errors and I had to cut it twice as for about half the model. Cutting twice is not an issue with cheap mdf and 5 minutes a part.

Each page in the artwork is placed so it lines up in some way with another page except for a few bits. Please do not rate my artwork as I have not polished it as I would if sending it to a client. You should easily be able to trim this to fit your tool set.

I guess the tips would be.

Make sure you have a good fit for your 9mm mdf before you start cutting all your bits.
    Cut one part while drawing the next part
    Get big parts right the first time. Small parts can be re cut in a jiffy.
    Use multiple pages with master page guides so you can line everything up between the shelf tiers.
    Visualise the model in your head so you only have to cut 1 to 2 times per part.
    When cutting 9mm mdf I focus for 8mm.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Keith

Thanks for posting your plan.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Keith
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

11. More toolboxes:

three kinds of toolboxes i made...
    toolbox2.jpgtoolbox1.jpgtoolbox3.jpg

#3 free download: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93753/#files
    Last edited by Gerd Spatz; 05-19-2015 at 3:00 AM. Reason: Added link to free template

Thanks Keith
    That would make a great bench top organizer.
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

To anyone who wants to make boxes,puzzles and a few other bits & pieces, Gerd Spatz has a website based creation program that is very helpful.103_0809.JPG
    It's called "Boxdesigner" and he charges a small annual fee for access. I've used it to create some stuff (lousy pic- no focus cheap camera) and he is most helpful when needed.
    Admin - don't know whether a link for something like this is allowed so please remove if not appropriate.
    http://boxdesigner.frag-den-spatz.de/
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Great little project Keith! It's quite similar to one I've been planning on making to hold my pen/paint set. I like your idea of the handle on top. That would come in handy for when I need to use it outside the work area.

I actually find it quite fun & easy to design items like this in only Corel. For the more tricky parts, I sometimes use a grid with spacing set to my requirements and turn on Snap to Grid.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Hi Keith,

That is awesome! I Love it.

I do something similar, but out of foam for toolboxes and cases...

tray 2.jpgtray 3.jpg

Cheers
    Darren