Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    I got, http://www.sensgard.com/, based on the recommendation by Paul Marcel.
    It works as advertised. It cuts the machine noise considerably while I can still hear my wife calling me.
    No, it doesn't cut the machine noise completely like ear muffs, but it's light, easy to put on/off, comfortable on the ears as well as around the neck when it is not used. No sweating in the summer.
    It is noise-reduction, not noise elimination. So, if you want to shut out the machine noise, it is not yours.
    Also, I have to warn you that if an object hits it (like a Festool vacuum boomarm or a power cord from the ceiling), the sounds magnifies a lot! It surely gives you a jolt.
    I like the idea of these because you can wear glasses more comfortably. I find that over-ear units are pretty uncomfortable with safety glasses.

Everybody in my shop has been using the Peltor earmuffs for the last 20+ years exclusively. The Leight units are also good.
    I don't know the model I have in the shop, but they have a NRR of 31 so the modern equivalent is the Peltor X5. I don't like ANY of the "in the ear" styles from a comfort, and the possibility of inner ear problems or infections, though those Sensgard units look pretty comfortable.
    I will say however, that the muff style is not very comfortable for long periods in a hot shop environment for extended periods.

I wear these:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Shotgunner-...gunner+earmuff

They are less bulky than other muffs. Work fine, for woodworking or shooting.

Years ago I had a pair of custom ear plugs made (some kind of rubber)...fill your ear with goo, it cures, and you have a perfect sealed fit. Had them made for shooting sports. They just stay in while running machines...don't interfere with glasses or respirators. Only downside is they cut out everything...can't hear other's talking, and difficult to tell if a machine is bogging, etc. Kind of in your own zone.

How much isolation are you after?

I get 25 dB(a weighted) isolation from my Huskvarna ear covers.
    They're adjustable and fit my enormous melon with some room to spare.

I use these and their great. I have a set for shooting and a set for the shop. These adjust to sound so you can still hear your machine but won't kill your ears. When I use them at the range, I can hear the guy next to me but a shot gun going off next to me doesn't bother me at all. http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-ep7-sonic-defenders.html

I'm another happy user of Peltor Optime 105. They are also sold under a couple of other brand names. One caution if you look at the gun shop: many "tactical" protectors are designed for impulse, explosive noises, not for the steady whine of machinery.

I find I can't beat the orange or yellow "squishies" for comfort, no heavy thing hanging on your head and I always have a pair or two in my pocket. For something really loud a set of muffs on top of them is excellent. I also really like the Etymotic ETY "high fidelity" musicians earplugs, which I use when I have to sit in front of the drums or trumpets (most of the time the tubas get to sit in the back row), or when lower level protection is OK and I want to be listening to music in the shop. They only have 20 db reduction, but do so equally across the sound spectrum so that sounds are distorted much less.

For about $12 off Amazon, you can make your own custom fitted ear plugs. Those are what I wear when woodworking or shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Best foam plugs I have found. Comfy and cooler than muffs in the summer.

JR

Another vote for the Peltor H10A. For yard work, I wear ear buds under them for music, works great.

i use howard leight qb2 quiet bands. easy to have around your neck all day, and ready to go without having to roll anything up and try to stuff it in your ears.

JR, those are ear plugs I use when motorcycling, very comfortable for long duration use.............Rod.

I'm weighing in with Bilsom Viking V3. 29db

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    For about $12 off Amazon, you can make your own custom fitted ear plugs. Those are what I wear when woodworking or shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc
    +1 for the Radians DIY custom-molded ear plugs. Great for woodworking, shooting, operating a tractor or lawnmower, running a chainsaw, etc. I keep one pair in the shop, another in the tractor cab and a third pair in a gun case. Cooler to wear in the heat. Not so much an issue indoors, but when working outside you can wear a hat. Harder to do with the ear muff style.