Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that we wished had been invented:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Things that we wished had been invented:

Bottom of the vessel "Nub Remover".

"Anti-Vibration Chamber", or alternatively an "Anti-Vibration Ray Gun" for hollow forms, chalices and other things that can be destroyed by vibration.

"Eternal Sand Paper".

…because if I could buy another tool, I wouldn't need technique and practice.

Your additions to the list?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Bottom of the vessel "Nub Remover".

I would pay good money for a high quality "nub remover." ;-)

How about a "stupid moment detector" , a "one last cut preventer" or a "that looks perfect as it is confirmation device."

"How about a "stupid moment detector" , a "one last cut preventer" or a "that looks perfect as it is confirmation device.""

Excellent For that matter how about a "Stupid Moment Eraser"?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. How about a "burl wood accelerator," "crack proof wood, " and especially a "catch proof gouge!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

bottled water! Who would ever buy a bottle of water.
    Curt

Woodworkers have long wanted 'board stretchers' maybe we could use 'blank enlargers'. I could also use evaporating curlies.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A system of some sort that would automatically remove every tiny nib of dust.... And a Transporter like on Star Trek....

robo hippy

- I want sharpener in a spray can. 40 years ago at the Lab we joked "hey, you need to spray some sharp on that blade." Still waiting. In the mean time, I want

- Diamond-edged tools that never, ever get dull.

- Wood that can be shaped like clay on a potter's wheel.

- Instant spalting chamber.

- Time reversing switch. To take back that last cut. Also useful for other stuff.

BTW, years ago I did invent a catch-proof skew chisel. They scoffed when I posted about it on WoodCentral, thought I was joking. I still have it and it does work. The limitation is it won't work for planing cuts (cylinders, tapers), only for things like facing cuts (across end grain), deep v-grooves, and beads.

JKJ

Okay, I will play along, good thread for a Saturday Night. I agree with Reed, total dust remover, for sure. I would also like to add, instead of eternal Sand Paper Brian, how about "spray paper" in a can.....or in a gun......or......just no more sanding.

How about "Time to turn" in a can.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy
    Diamond is hard, but it is not tough. It will shatter. I would believe that chipping would quickly destroy the edge. Carbide is much tougher.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A button I could press, kind of like the Staples "That was Easy" button, that says, "No thank you. I have enough wood already". I seem to be incapable of saying the words myself.

Or a 3rd garage stall so I wouldn't have to park outside.

Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ
    Ditto to all you said.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith