Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker rulers - do you recommend them?

Woodpecker rulers - do you recommend them?

I'm looking to upgrade from my existing thin steel rules to something a bit more substantial. I don't need anything as perfect as Starrett. I'm thinking maybe a 6" and a 12" from Woodpeckers.

If you have them, or have tried them out at a show, how do you like them? For example, are they easy to position and don't slide all over? Do you find them too wide or too unwieldy? Sorry if this seems picky but I'd like to get something I'll appreciate using.

Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-17-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just my tight wad ways but I think Woodpecker's rulers are too expensive...period. Their 24 inch straight edge rule is $45.
    I got a 24 in rule/level from Harbor Freight for less than a 1/3rd of that price. It's dead accurate.

If you are a metric head, Tools from japan has good stainless steel thin rules priced really good.

I have a Veritas hook rule in 12 in length that is also quite good and I've used it for over a decade with no loss or determinable wear. Recommended.

Blog Entries
    I have the 24" centering rule. It is great when I want to lay the rule on the material but, to me it is too thick and awkward for general measuring tasks. I have all 5 of these. Pros: Metric and imperial, they are dead-on, handy hanging hole, they all match each other and all match everything else I measure with. Cons: They are flush from one end only (but, have the handy hanging hole as a trade-off). I also have these here and there around the shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Woodpeckers SERX Straight Edge Rule 36". Granted I brought it to check the flatness of machinery, but their regular rulers should be just as good.

Carbide Processors has a great price on the Woodpeckers SERX Straight Edge Rule 36" and other Woodpeckers products.
    http://www.carbideprocessors.com/woo...e-aluminum-36/

I would not think twice about buying any Woodpeckers products. I am not affiliated with Woodpeckers in anyway. I am just a happy customer of their 1281 square, mini square, saw gauge, and 36" SERX rule.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate both it and the links you posted. Now comes the hard part - gotta make up my mind!

Have a good week!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have one of their red rulers. It is well made but I would never buy any of their products that have measurement markings on them again.

I found that the red color and the markings are very difficult to read in my shop's light and therefore the red Woodpecker ruler sits in a drawer. At least it was only $35. I have no trouble reading satin finish rulers with quality markings

Any others with a similar experience?

Different experience from Paul. I have a pair of Woodpeckers T-squares, and I LOVE the white-on-red.

I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on just a regular woodpeckers ruler, but the T-squares are great. Being able to register against the end of the stock is definitely the way to go (The Incra T-Rules do this a swell) and these also make excellent squares, for "flat" applications.

I have the 24" & the 12", and both are dead-nuts accurate 90 degrees.

I'd prefer to have 24" and 8", but Woodpeckers in their infinite wisdom only offers them shorter than 12" in the occasional "one time" sales. (Why are they called "one time," when the same item often comes around over & over?) The 24" is definitely too heavy & cumbersome to use routinely for small measurements, but the 12" works well for "most" tasks.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-17-2015 at 7:51 PM.

No product they make is a dud I've bought so far. Router lift is going on 11+ years and perfect. The rulers are top notch and easy to read (important for me). I have a few of the one time tools.

Once you get one of their quality pieces you'll understand. Ain't cheap, but good tools rarely are.

Not sure who does them in the US, but Shinwa from Japan do a very good quality line of all sorts of certified accurate rules at very reasonable money...

The 12" sold by Lee Valley is a Shinwa. Something like $13. The satin finish is easier to read than my satin Starretts. Both brands are hardened steel, which is a big advantage over aluminum...but only if you use them.
    Larry

I have the 12", 24", 36" and 50". Love them all.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I use the ones from Lee Valley. I can't imagine what you could do to a ruler to make it worth what Woodpeckers charges.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had one of the Woodpeckers 6" scales and gave it away here in a FreeStuff drawing. I prefer the satin steel scales with black graduations because the contrast makes them easier to read and they are more durable.

FWIW the technical term is a scale or a rule, a ruler is a monarch

Forgot to mention it above, but steel is a big deal if you use a rule as a gutting guide. I should have said too that i've never seen anything as clear and easy to read as the Shinwa. The other bi plus is that they do a nice line in simple little rule stops that work well too.

THis links the factory catalogue: http://www.shinwasokutei.co.jp/engli.../products.html

For me they really do manage to hit top quality and reasonable price all at once...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 05-18-2015 at 6:50 AM.

I use large wooden rules that were given out as advertising, years ago.

They don't have the fine graduations that the WP or LV versions sport,
    which works out better for me - I can't make out anything less than a 1/16th without a magnifying glass.

The wooden rules marked in 1/8" increments are my favorite.

You can mark them in pencil for accurate transfer of dimensions,
    and those marks are easily erased.

I like them around 36" long.