Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8 inch Jointer

Get score for sure.

So I am finally getting this Jointer up and working in my shop and I am trying get the dust collection dialed in. When I purchased it from the last owner it had this sheet metal fitting attached via Velcro. It is actually working ok but I thought I would upgrade it a bit and I am hoping the Creekers vast knowledge might assist. What would be the best way to attach to my collection system? Is a 4" port sufficient? If you go with 6"do you basically have to build it yourself with plywood and PVC fittings? If that is the case what is the best approach? 20170211_195136.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Even if three phase VFDs are cheap....that price is a steal for a usable PM 8" jointer.

I'd sure buy it... If operational.
    Bingo...and with a 3 phase motor you don't have a capacitor to go bad...and VFD's have a nice soft start feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    I hope you are on your way. I found something similar a few weeks ago. Hemmed and hawed for about an hour. Went back to the CL ad to call, and it was gone!
    I had the same thing happen with a nice Delta 8 inch Jointer here in Columbus...and it was more than the jointer the OP talked about...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Kramer View Post
    If it's in good shape you could add $1000 in front of that number and it would still sell.
    Ohhh absolutely...good woodworking equipment does not seem to depreciate much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    I'd buy that for a dollar! 300 times over!
    Agreed....must be even harder to find good equipment in Finland. I live in Columbus Ohio, a city of two million people in the middle of a state with a lot of jobs and manufacturing....there is not a lot of decent used woodworking equipment for sale even here.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 02-12-2017 at 2:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Congrats! I have the same machine, but paid considerably more money for it ($800) and still considered it well worth it. I eventually upgraded mine to a Byrd head. A very easy upgrade and very worth thinking about imo. Congrats, you will love that jointer!

HI Matt,

Great find. I think I would go with a 6" Port for the dust collection. However, it depends what type of dust collector you have. What type of opening is there now?

You seem eager to upgrade something... I think the motor is large enough. Perhaps, the motor may need, or could use new bearings. I agree with Joseph, I think a very good upgrade would be the Byrd cutter head. I have a 14" General planer, and I installed the Byrd cutter head. What a difference it made. It is quiet, and cuts very smooth.

Sam

Matt ... how folks do this depends on factors like ... how fast it needs to get done (can I make it now from what I have in the shop) to a nice planned solution. I have followed both approaches and everything in between. For the latter, companies like Spiral make rectangular to round transitions either concentric (centered) or eccentric (offset). You would probably want the flange out for easy attachment. This stuff tends to be made in 18 or 20 gauge which is very heavy duty and paintable. They make them to order so you get to define the length of the transition, angles, etc. A very nice solution. Theirs are heavy duty enough to attach a gate or quick disconnect or both. If I need to move the tool (I see yours is on wheels) I put a quick disconnect (bayonet) on the hose to facilitate removal and reattachment.

I have 120mm - about 5" - and it works fine for my 16" jointer. I wouldn't want to go any smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

if it works ,,, leave it alone. 4" is plenty. 6" might even reduce air speed enough to cause chips to fall out of the air stream.

Blog Entries
    My 8" jointer has run on a 4" port and has never had an issue collecting . . . oh, except for when I forget to turn the DC on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    HI Matt,

Great find. I think I would go with a 6" Port for the dust collection. However, it depends what type of dust collector you have. What type of opening is there now?

You seem eager to upgrade something... I think the motor is large enough. Perhaps, the motor may need, or could use new bearings. I agree with Joseph, I think a very good upgrade would be the Byrd cutter head. I have a 14" General planer, and I installed the Byrd cutter head. What a difference it made. It is quiet, and cuts very smooth.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I am OK leaving it how it is but the current dust connector is lacking. It is home made and with the use of Velcro it has collected sawdust on it and is now basically falling off. I have Jet 2HP Cyclone that will be hooked up directly to it at the moment. Eventually I will run an entire ducted system to the whole shop with a separator. The machine had four holes drilled in it now about 12 inches apart. I am thinking about mounting a piece of plywood with these four holes and then add an additional connection to the plywood. This would prevent me from drilling new holes in the machine. I just don't see any 6 inch dust hoods for jointers out there so I am guessing I will need to make my own out of plywood and PVC fittings?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My 8" jointer has run on a 4" port and has never had an issue collecting . . . oh, except for when I forget to turn the DC on.
    Thanks Glen. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I probably should have made a new post just asking specifically who uses a 4" port on an 8" jointer and how it works for them.

I'm running a Harbor Freight D.C. to my 8" planer though a 4" port and I don't even get saw dust on the beds. Leave the 4"- it's plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    I'm running a Harbor Freight D.C. to my 8" planer though a 4" port and I don't even get saw dust on the beds. Leave the 4"- it's plenty.

This is good to know, as I am not even running Dust collection at the moment and need to upgrade.