Thread: Is this practical?

Is this practical?

I am thinking of making a series of small wooden balls covered in velcro for sanding inside hollow forms. I want to be able to attach them to my Stinger hollowing bars with the set screws. I am thinking that I can maybe epoxy a small piece of steel rod (with a flat on it) into the ball and then attach it to my Stinger shaft. Can wood and metal be epoxied together? Should I use a threaded insert with epoxy instead? Am I running a risk of the wooden ball coming apart inside the form? Is there some other material that would be better suited (that is easily obtainable)? Lot of questions, but I am just brainstorming...in my case, that can sometimes be dangerous!

I was wondering this a couple months ago and never followed through on it. Not long ago, I noticed a website that sold these sanding ball things, so maybe it's a good idea! I don't think you'll have any trouble with wood/metal epoxying. I do it all the time and it holds up quite well. Tensile strength of the epoxy is a function of mixture though. Too much hardener will cause a more brittle result.

I'd be berry interested to hear how this comes out!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hey Carol I think it's a great idea. Constructionwise I don't know. Go to Craft Supplies website as they have one that sells for about $40.00. I bought one and it works.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

Here's something you might try

Carol, I was looking for the same kind of thing to sand the insides of my hollows as well, when I came upon this idea over on WC. Not sure if links are allowed here, if so, give this a read. If not, go to WC and look way down the list for a message called 'Acme Sand O Matic'. Then read the post above that.

Here's another simpler solution from the same thread:

Moderator removed links to another public forum - Terms of Service Violation.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-12-2005 at 6:07 AM.

Carol,
    I'll tell you what I did. I screwed a tennis ball to the end of a 3/4" dowel and put velcro on that. Worked fine for sanding my hollow forms, but the dog is still wondering where her ball is.

A tennis ball is a little large!

for the size opening I have in mind!

Carole, the next hollowform I do I plan to sand the inside as Terry Daniels suggested. He puts gravel rocks inside his, and lets it turn at about 100 rpm's. Some suggested coarse sand. This would beat sanding.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I don't sand the inside of hollow forms unless they are closer to being bowls. Only a turner would even notice...

From a practical standpoint, this is safer, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...