Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Move-in Advice

SawStop Move-in Advice

I have a SawStop Professional 3HP cabinet saw on order and I'm pondering how to get it down to me basement shop. I plan to unpack the shipping container in the garage so the challenge is getting the cabinet-table assembly down the stairs. The landings are 37" x 39". I would greatly appreciate advice and experiences any of you have had with this type of problem. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's what I did with my hot-dog-eating Unisaw:

A fridge-moving dolly/hand truck with a strap; a muscular friend, or two, on the down-hill side; a case of good beer in the shop as an enticement reward. Plus - some heavy blankets to protect the walls from the missus freaking out.........

Leave the top on the cabinet. Remove wings, etc. and take them down separately. Not sure how the SS comes packaged...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Hand Truck / Dolly with ratchet strap and stair climber belt. Mine looks something like this one from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...uck-60520.html. Move a piece at a time. Make sure the dolly has the roller belts on the back near the lower section, so you can slide the dolly down the stairs without scratching each step. I move heavy items slow and methodically... 1 step at a time. A good dolly can move an amazing amount of heavy equipment ... just take your time. I have moved almost all my machinery into the basement... including a Grizzly 8 inch jointer in pieces. Yes it was heavy, but very doable. Going back up the stairs will require some extra help, but I will use the same hand truck again.
    Last edited by Alan Lilly; 05-19-2015 at 12:41 AM.

Being leery of damage to my back,my house, and the saw, as well as possible volunteer helpers, I'd hire a couple of professional movers to do the job.

I know, it sounds like I'm chicken, and I freely admit that I am. I'm not that big, nor that strong, and I've got only one back with no spare parts for it.

Professional movers not only have all the necessary equipment, but also the necessary skills, and, if things do go wrong, the necessary insurance...

THAT is a critical thing, as far as I am concerned. The insurance protects three ways: (a) it protects the equipment they are moving, should something catastrophic happen, like the cast iron table getting cracked. (b) ditto if something in the structure gets damaged. And (c) - most important - it protects both you and them should they get injured.

Lets face it: if you, or a volunteer helper, get seriously bunged up in doing the job, who is going to pay the medical expenses, and potentially provide income for life???

Think about it. I know it perhaps seems "unmanly" to hire the pros, but I consider the potential downside to be just too steep to risk it.
    Last edited by Edward Oleen; 05-19-2015 at 12:55 AM. Reason: speeeling
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

^ I'm with Edward. If you can afford a Sawstop, you can afford to hire professional help.

If it were me, I'd park my car in the basement, and move the tools to the garage. i think that would be easier.

If you just spent every last dollar you had to get that beauty, and I mean Ramen noodles just became a luxury and the kids will have to wait a few years to go to college, then I'd consider taking it apart to the greatest extent possible, before continuing. The upside is (kind of seriously) that you would become more intimately aquainted with your new saw. This could serve you well sometime down the road, plus a little man-machine bonding is a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-19-2015 at 1:07 AM.

I just unpacked and assembled my new PCS 3hp last March, it does not live in a basement. It comes shipped in 5 packages the main cabinet wieghs 330 lbs. An appliance hand truck is a good suggestion, its the only way I see to get it down the stairs. You will definitely need help. Two strong guys on the down side, as Kent said. You may need to move the hand truck at the stair landing to the other side of the box to continue down the stairs.

Helping my son move we had trouble with the HF hand truck. The stair rollers would not rotate, so we returned it and rented one at an equipment rental yard.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    I just unpacked and assembled my new PCS 3hp last March, it does not live in a basement. It comes shipped in 5 packages the main cabinet wieghs 330 lbs. An appliance hand truck is a good suggestion, its the only way I see to get it down the stairs. You will definitely need help. Two strong guys on the down side, as Kent said. You may need to move the hand truck at the stair landing to the other side of the box to continue down the stairs.

Helping my son move we had trouble with the HF hand truck. The stair rollers would not rotate, so we returned it and rented one at an equipment rental yard.
    My hand truck isn't a Harbor Freight brand... I was just using it as an example. A good one with the roller belts really helps avoid scraping your steps.

I can't begin to think how many times I've use this hand truck:
    http://m.harborfreight.com/heavy-dut...uck-95061.html
    At least I think that's the same one I have, I bought it used.

I've moved cabinet table saws down stairs three times now with it, and it is not hard. That being said, I'm reasonably fit and had a helper. The main thing though is I know how to use the hand truck. Sounds silly, but understanding how to bump a heavy load down stairs smoothly and safely takes some skill.

Without the wings and it ratchet strapped to the hand truck and it's not very difficult. But if your unsure of your abilities, maybe hiring someone is a good idea.

One last thing, I moved an awkward 600lb bandsaw (after removing 400lb of parts) down the stairs with a battery powered hand truck. I rented it from I think United Rentals. I had a thread about it if you search for it. Overkill for a TS, but would help if you're not sure.

I hired professionals to do it. They moved 5 machines for $200. Can't beat that.
    DO NOT remove the table. SS told me that is a structural element and you are likely to damage the cabinet without it.

Getting it around those turns will be tough even if it wasn't so heavy. Good luck!

I had an ICS delivered that went down some steps to a basement. Paid woodcraft to put it in the basement. My back was so worth the cost. Pay someone

So I have simple question. Looks like a relatively new house. No outside basement access? How exactly do you get sheets of plywood down there, or long rough cut wood? I'm just curious how if that is your only basement access, that the space and stairs permit large supplies, wood and everything else normal to a shop space to be viable. I assume you are making things larger than small boxes or cutting boards with a PCS.

I also have that same hand truck and have used it for all kinds of things, including getting an 8" jointer down the same stairs. However, I'm thinking of renting an appliance dolly for this move because the smaller wheels will give me a few more inches of room to turn on the landings.

Blog Entries
    I'd pay to have it moved down there, especially if I had to go out to rent a dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    Being leery of damage to my back,my house, and the saw, as well as possible volunteer helpers, I'd hire a couple of professional movers to do the job.

Absolutely this. In my opinion, it would be well-worth the cost.

I got mine down using an appliance dolly a block and tackle to lower slowly, and my wife on the tail end of the block and tackle.

I will gladly high high some professionals to get it up the stairs.