Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terry Hatfield announcement

Terry Hatfield announcement

This is just a general announcement to those out there who have followed Terry Hatfield and his efforts to provide his cyclone kit. Personally I have not spoken with Terry, but his website has some pretty bad news on it. Seems he has had an accident on his tablesaw and has shredded a couple of fingers pretty bad. Bad enough that he has been forced to shut down operation of his cyclone kit business. Sounds like for good.

I know that Terry has poured his heart and soul into providing something for the guy who needed a quality dust collection system and has probably seen very little in return. I ,for one, wish Terry a speedy recovery and know that he is doing the best for his number one priority, his family. It is my fervent hope that he doesn't feel a shred of guilt or sadness over his decision to focus his efforts where they should be. I almost lost a finger myself several years ago in a horseshoeing accident when a horse stepped down on one and can sympathize with the pain he has endured so far. I wish him well and hope he continues to keep us posted here on his recovery and beyond that, favor us with his presence.

Get well soon buddy!

Mike Schwing Guest
    Yikes! Hate reading about these kinds of things happening, and when it happens to someone you "know" its even worse. The fact that accomplished woodworkers suffer injuries gives me even a greater respect for the tools we use.

Here's to the quickest/best recovery possible.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Terry and his family. We hope for a speedy recovery and quick relief from the pain.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The prognosis on the fingers that were injured is good, fortunately. That's more important than any part-time side business..

Wishing the best to Terry for a quick recovery!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Talked with Terry

I just got off the phone with Terry. He is doing fine considering what he has been through. He had damage to the ring finger and the little finger of his right hand. A small portion of his little finger was shaved off. His description of his ringer finger was "like cutting a rabbet out of the top of it, through the fingernail area to the bone"..

He is in good spirits and is handling it well. He realizes it could have been a lot worse and considers the incident a wake-up call. The little finger should heal rather quickly but the ring finger will take considerable time to heal and get back to normal functionality (doctor's prognosis).

Terry is a good friend and I wish him well.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Terry,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. My preyers and thougts go out to you and your family. It's my hopes that you will recover fully and I hope the relief of pain will come quickly. I'm new to woodworking less than a year but I'm constantly concerned about safety and I feel deep sorrow when I hear of these accidents. But the joy and fullfillment that I get from being in my shop making sawdust keeps me going on.

Gods speed
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Terry. Hope you can still type with the other hand and keep us posted. Halsey

To everyone.....

I wish to thank everyone for the emails and responses. I was scared to death that closing the site was going to create a bunch of mad customers but the exact opposite has been the case.

I have gotten many emails over the last couple of days and they have all been very positive. I truly appreciate that.

Working 18 or more hours a day had really taken a toll on me without me realizing it. While I sat in the shop floor with a towel wrapped around the remains of my fingers I came to the conclusion that something had to go. DE was it.

My family has taken a back seat to work for way to long, even before DE. It is time for me to get my priorities in line. My children are growing up and I am missing it.

Most everyone knows about our children. Payton is our 6'5" 300 lb. 16 year old left tackle. He has excelled at football and has also excelled with academics. Looks like he will be offered scholarships both athletic and academic. I missed all of his spring football practice because of work. I don't want to miss anything else.

Katie, our 12 year old turner recieved the President's Award for Outstanding Academic Excellence a couple of weeks ago, I was here working when she got the award. All these things were going through my mind as I sat in the floor bleeding. DE was not to blame for all of this. I am a workaholic with or without DE, but I am going to change that now. I need to be there for my children and my wife.

The fingers should eventually heal and be fine. It is just a matter of wait and see what happens. The doctors really feel that there will be no permanent damage.

The Lord has a funny way of getting our attention sometimes. He certainly has mine now.

Thanks again to everyone,

Terry

God speed Terry, hope everything turns out well.

Re: To everyone.....

Originally posted by Terry Hatfield
    The Lord has a funny way of getting our attention sometimes. He certainly has mine now.
    Terry,

I feel like I know you a bit from this board and I hope you recover fully. The Lord has gotten your attention and ours too. What you saw when you sat on the floor with your hand wrapped in a towel is the clearest thing you can see. Experiences like those make priorities more clear. I am grateful that I can I see it through your experience rather than have to cut off bits of my own hands (wink, smile).

Keep on taking care of yourself and your family. Everything else is way down on the priority list.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Terry

My thoughts and prayers are also with you. Sounds like you will fully recupurate(?) from the hand injury.

Also sounds like a very important wake up call. I wish you the best on both items. It's funny how life often gets in the way of living isn't it. Thanks for the reminder & take care.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thanks Terry

I am glad I was one of the lucky folks to have gotten one of your high quality units. But more importantly, I have met a friend and know from my time speaking with you that you have wonderful children and a wife. So often we let them become secondary, time lost with them is lost. Things in the shop will be there tomorrow. I once got things done in the shop quickly, now days my projects take many times longer as I just don't put the time there like I did. Every evening is spent with the family, I see a few hours here and there, but wouldn't change a thing.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery. Accidents like this impact more than WW, you use them things in everything you do. I am sure typing on the computer has changed drastically.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Terry,

Good luck and may God speed your healing. Striking a balance between all the things competing for our time is the most important (and hardest) thing to do. Time is the most precious of all commodities.... I wish you well in your time re-allocation efforts. Dave.

Hi Terry,

Glad you are ok. I agree with you, there are certain priorities that we must maintain. Sounds like you are getting yours in proper order. I believe with you for full recovery.
    Be Blessed!

So sorry to hear about your accident

Be thankful that it was not worse, and that you can expect a near complete recovery.

Listen to your doctor, he is your boss until he releases you.

Thanks for all the outstanding work you have done with your DC project/business. Now, many people, including myself, have missed the opportuinity to build your kit. I understand....

Please heal quickly and completely
    Best Regards, Ken