Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to darken the markings on my combo squares

How to darken the markings on my combo squares

0522151026_DxO (913 x 1218).jpgI've got a number of old combos squares in various sizes from 4" to 36" and due to wear, it's difficult to read the markings. In general they're in good shape. Is there way to darken them so my aging eyes can read them?

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

If the markings aren't laser etched, paint the rules and then remove the paint from the surfaces.

They are etched but due to the age it wasn't done with a laser. I tried using a black marker and removing the excess but saw little to no improvement, the marks are just to narrow and shallow to hold much color.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

I would clean them up good with mineral spirits and a green scrubby, then I would spray on some black epoxy-based paint and wipe off the excess. Black wax may also work, and would protect the metal from staining/rusting.

On some of your squares -- like the oldest one in the middle of the pic -- the surface of the rule is darkened by time and use. Because the surface is dark, the markings don't have much contrast. I'd try polishing the surface to make it lighter-colored. I'd hit it with 600 grit on a power sander, or a buffing wheel on a bench grinder.

What about white instead of black? Try fingernail polish and brush it on and then remove the excess with acetone.

Try a company called Brownel's they a are a gunsmith / shooting supply company. They have a product to fill the engraved areas on guns and sights to make them easy to see, it is like a soft crayon you rub it on, wipe off the excess and lit it dry. It lasts a long time and comes in white, gold and silver. I don't remember what they call it but tell them what you are doing and they will be able to help you.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I just need more light. In the extreme cases, new rules could be purchased if no degree of "highlighting" does the deed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lovell View Post
    Try a company called Brownel's they a are a gunsmith / shooting supply company. They have a product to fill the engraved areas on guns and sights to make them easy to see, it is like a soft crayon you rub it on, wipe off the excess and lit it dry. It lasts a long time and comes in white, gold and silver. I don't remember what they call it but tell them what you are doing and they will be able to help you.
    I have had the same need and tried to do as suggested but using white lead. In my younger years, I had a part time job drilling and engraving bowling balls. We used white lead to highlight the lettering. Perfect solution EXCEPT white lead is no longer unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    I have had the same need and tried to do as suggested but using white lead. In my younger years, I had a part time job drilling and engraving bowling balls. We used white lead to highlight the lettering. Perfect solution EXCEPT white lead is no longer unavailable.
    What you guys are talking about are paint crayons. Used to highlight lettering in check fixtures. Look like a lumber crayon, but made of paint. Scribble on, let set a bit then wipe off excess. Overnight dries hard. Get them at industrial supply houses, only a couple bucks and come in at least four colors, red, yellow, black, and white.
    Mike
    PS they last essentially forever, the ones I got back in the 70's still work just fine.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I've done this several times, but use a bright color of paint like yellow or white. Black won't show well on an old rule. I just paint the whole surface, filling all of the stamped lines, and then use a folded rag dampened in paint thinner to gently wipe the surface. Do it lengthwise so the paint remains in the lines, but not on the surface. If it doesn't turn out right you have applied too much paint thinner or too much rag pressure. The good thing is that you can wipe off what doesn't turn out right start over. When satisfied, let it dry before using.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    If the markings aren't laser etched, paint the rules and then remove the paint from the surfaces.
    This ^^^....

What if you cleaned the rules, painted them black, then sanded the faces bright with some fine grit sandpaper? Possibly just my eyes but I have an eaiser time reading black lettering on metal surfaces than white or yellow. Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Brian, O ne of the first things we were taught to do in machinery repairman class A school in the navy was to darken the lines of our rules when they wore out and got harder to see as we got older.
    Starret Tool Company makes a product called dykem. It is a liquid used by machinists and toolmakers to layout lines and circles on metal. Some places call it bluem.
    It comes in a dark blue, or a red color which is thinner viscosity then the blue, in a small bottle with a brush in the handle.
    It is difficult to remove once applied to metal, but they sell dekem remover or you can use paint thinner or alcohol if it's not completely dry.
    Brush it onto your scales and wait 10 seconds or so and wipe off rule with a cloth leaving the engraved scales full of the dykem.
    Works great.
    If you did the same thing with a sharpie red or black pen it would do the same thing, but not last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Brian, O ne of the first things we were taught to do in machinery repairman class A school in the navy was to darken the lines of our rules when they wore out and got harder to see as we got older.
    Starret Tool Company makes a product called dykem. It is a liquid used by machinists and toolmakers to layout lines and circles on metal. Some places call it bluem.
    It comes in a dark blue, or a red color which is thinner viscosity then the blue, in a small bottle with a brush in the handle.
    It is difficult to remove once applied to metal, but they sell dekem remover or you can use paint thinner or alcohol if it's not completely dry.
    Brush it onto your scales and wait 10 seconds or so and wipe off rule with a cloth leaving the engraved scales full of the dykem.
    Works great.
    If you did the same thing with a sharpie red or black pen it would do the same thing, but not last as long.
    DYKEM!!

Why didn't I think of that????

I run a Matsuura 600V CNC milling machine for a living and there's a bottle of Dykem on top of my controller next to the tapping fluid and dead blow hammer. I'll give it a try when I go back to work on Tuesday.

Thanks!!!

Brian