Thread: Mixing tooling methods

Mixing tooling methods

When building tool plugs, sometimes I find it quickest to mix manufacturing methods. In this case I CNC machined some fairly large tool plugs from MDF and bonded laser-cut letters to them afterwards. This gave sharper interior corners and saved a few machining passes across 50" x 50" parts. Wax fillets were added after bonding as well as a couple features that were epoxy cast from previous parts. These will be sent to a foundry, cast into aluminum, and become vacuum form tooling for an automotive rim pallet system (dunnage).

wax_fillets.jpg
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thanks for posting

Hi Doug...thanks for posting these images (this and past images). I find them fascinating.

-Jim Coffee-
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Coffee View Post
    Hi Doug...thanks for posting these images (this and past images). I find them fascinating.

-Jim Coffee-
    Thanks Jim. I try to add something different to the forum. Other uses for our lasers.

Doug
    It is nice to see the pattern that you made. I have a collection of patterns dating back to the 1880s. Most of those used leather for the fillets. Another interesting feature is the number for pieces of wood that they used .
    Thanks
    Chuck

While not nearly as complicated, I have several industrial customers that I make SS ID plates for,
    where I'll laser etch the common information, and tool engrave the variable information that they
    would normally stamp in. Saves them time, makes me more $$$ ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    When building tool plugs, sometimes I find it quickest to mix manufacturing methods. In this case I CNC machined some fairly large tool plugs from MDF and bonded laser-cut letters to them afterwards. This gave sharper interior corners and saved a few machining passes across 50" x 50" parts. Wax fillets were added after bonding as well as a couple features that were epoxy cast from previous parts. These will be sent to a foundry, cast into aluminum, and become vacuum form tooling for an automotive rim pallet system (dunnage).

wax_fillets.jpg
    aluminum_pallet.jpg

Sill warm while I took the photo. It took just 3 days to get the casting back.