Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection recommendations

Hearing protection recommendations

My requirements:

1) adjustable to head size

2) no electronics of any type

3) optimal protection for screaming power tools

Amazon has dozens of models, mostly Peltor.....didn't see any that met my requirements.

Suggestions appreciated...thx
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Hi Scott
    I found Howard Leight model L3 by Sperian at a gun shop. They have an attenuation rating in the low 30's, that was the highest rating of the selection at the shop. Gun shops have a good selection to choose from and you can try them on.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I prefer muffs. Go to a gun store and try some on. they make the best ones. I found the cheaper ones better.

I like the disposable "squishy" foam ones, over which I wear "shooters ear muffs".
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Thanks guys...looks like a trip to the gun store next week.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I use the 3M Peltor H10A muffs, and they do adjust to head size. I find them to be comfortable and offer good protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    I like the disposable "squishy" foam ones, over which I wear "shooters ear muffs".
    Same with me. I always have foamies in my pocket. They just get washed with the pants, and usually stay in the pocket. On a loud ferry boat, or when I climb on a tractor, I'm ready.

Surprisingly, I found the higher priced HF yellow muffs to be really good. $11 right now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Peltor OPTIME 105. Been usin' 'em for about 2 years. In the shop, on the riding mower, on the skeet range. They work.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    3M Peltor X5A Over-the-Head Earmuffs
    I bought a pair of these when I bought my cnc router. By far the best noise reduction that I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Se.../dp/B00CPCHBCQ
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    I prefer muffs. Go to a gun store and try some on. they make the best ones. I found the cheaper ones better.
    The nice thing about most good quality shooter's ear protection is that they allow for the standard talking to pass into the ear. That way when someone wants you attention, they can call you and not sneak up on you. Always hate getting startled when I am running a hand router or a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Surprisingly, I found the higher priced HF yellow muffs to be really good. $11 right now.
    I love the yellow squishy ones, they are much better than the orange squishy ones. My local HF seems to have stopped carrying the big box of yellow squishy ones. I don't use the squishy ones for wood working though, I use them for sleeping. I like being able to remove and remount my hearing protection when I am working and not have to stick my saw dust and glue covered figers in my ears. For woodworking I use the Peltor muffs that I also bought at HF for a very reasonable price. ( http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A...8KYS9Y3YT0Y3KB) They do an excellent job. The fancier Peltors listed above weren't out when I bought the ones I have. I use Peltor electronic muffs at the range... I paid a bunch for them many years ago but the range is MUCH safer when you can hear what is going on around you and only filter out the loud reports.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 05-17-2015 at 1:28 AM.

I got, http://www.sensgard.com/, based on the recommendation by Paul Marcel.
    It works as advertised. It cuts the machine noise considerably while I can still hear my wife calling me.
    No, it doesn't cut the machine noise completely like ear muffs, but it's light, easy to put on/off, comfortable on the ears as well as around the neck when it is not used. No sweating in the summer.
    It is noise-reduction, not noise elimination. So, if you want to shut out the machine noise, it is not yours.
    Also, I have to warn you that if an object hits it (like a Festool vacuum boomarm or a power cord from the ceiling), the sounds magnifies a lot! It surely gives you a jolt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Peltor OPTIME 105. Been usin' 'em for about 2 years. In the shop, on the riding mower, on the skeet range. They work.
    Bill
    I also have these. Inexpensive and the 30db drop is great. They seal fine over safety glasses and do nt interfere with any of my 3 different respirators.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I wear Peltor ear muffs at home but at work, in high-noise locations, double protection is required...both ear plugs and ear muffs.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln