Thread: Turning tool shaft material

Turning tool shaft material

For those that have made their own turning tools (carbide or otherwise - not scrapers) Do you have a preference for square, round or hex bar stock?
    I have made a few with square stock but wondered if round or hex would be preferable.
    EDIT
    Sorry but I think on rereading my post I did not ask the right question.
    What I wanted to know was: If I made a carbide or oland type tool which type of shank would you prefer square, round or hex?
    Square is limited in how the tool is angled to the work.
    Round is infinitely variable.
    Hex has a few angles to choose from.
    Which would you prefer?
    Hope this makes a bit more sense now.

Thanks
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil Hansen; 05-24-2015 at 7:04 AM. Reason: Added info

I've made a few and prefer round. Since I don't use them as scrapers, the square bars don't work well for me and the hex is still a bit too limiting for setting the angle of the cutter. Using round bars is like turning with a standard bowl gouge, so I used to that.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Using round bars is like turning with a standard bowl gouge, so I used to that.
    Thanks.
    Makes sense.
    Phil

I also prefer round.

I prefer round to square, except for when I'm making a carbide tool. With the way your supposed to approach the wood with carbides, I just find it better to use square stock for them.
    Len

I use round, but then have never used square cutters. I mostly use it in a shear cutting manner.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks all for the replies.
    Will pass on the hex and make a round oland type and a square carbide and see how they go.
    Phil

I've only made them for carbide cutters the round bar with round cutters lets me turn the cutter on it's edge for a lighter shearing cut. I know that's not the way you are supposed to use carbide cutters but it works well for me. With the square cutters you can't do that and I go with a square bar. seems to give me a little more support and helps keep the tool from twisting when I cut sideways instead of straight in.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Oland tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hansen View Post
    ... make a round oland type ...
    Phil
    Are you talking about the tools Knud and Lissi Oland made? I bought a set (with extra cutters) from Lissi when she lived in Brasstown, NC. (Her custom lathe and work were both huge and spectacular, especially up close! She gave me a big load of wood before she moved back to Denmark.)

The tools I got from her are new - I never opened the box she packed. It says "Complete Hollowing Woodturning Sustem". I probably will never use these since I enjoy turning small things more. I may be interested in trading or selling these if someone is interested.

BTW, round tools for me except for skews. I like to make small round neg. rake scrapers from Thompson round stock and reground detail gouges. The round shaft makes them easier to control when rotated - better surfaces too, I think, especially on end grain in exotic woods on things like boxes.

JKJ

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    BTW, round tools for me except for skews. I like to make small round neg. rake scrapers from Thompson round stock and reground detail gouges. The round shaft makes them easier to control when rotated - better surfaces too, I think, especially on end grain in exotic woods on things like boxes.

JKJ
    I can see merit in using square or hex stock for the shaft material however I believe the round stock permits more flexibility & opportunity to finesse cuts.

Thanks again to all who have provided useful info.
    Phil