Thread: How on earth was this done? Multiple fiber laser passes?

How on earth was this done? Multiple fiber laser passes?

This is an anodized or perhaps cerakote AR 15 lower. It looks like it has about three depths there.
    image.jpg
    355 - 10400 : )

Looks like a fiber laser to me. Doesn't look that sharp around the letters, which is what can happen when you have to take a bazillion passes to get that depth.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott, kinda guessed fiber. I see the loss of detail but those letters are probably only 1mm in height. Still, a pretty cool effect, delicate on a gun though.
    355 - 10400 : )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Looks like a fiber laser to me. Doesn't look that sharp around the letters, which is what can happen when you have to take a bazillion passes to get that depth.
    I would blame the lack of sharpness on a Chinese-quality galvo rather than the number of passes it took to get the depth. Those cheap galvos aren't precision instruments, so when you push them for speed (which you need with that many passes to get the job done in a reasonable timeframe), the repeatability of positioning drops like a rock.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wonder if that was done on a Galvo or a gantry fiber. Seems like it would take a long time either way as that's a lot of metal to remove.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I wonder if that was done on a Galvo or a gantry fiber. Seems like it would take a long time either way as that's a lot of metal to remove.
    No lie, that would take the better part of a day on a gantry unit. A galvo might have it finished in 20-30 minutes. (Depending upon wattage, of course). Either is possible, but galvo is the only realistic way if these are being done as part of a (profitable) business.

I'm going with acid. The bottom of the image is mottled. Lasers don't do mottled, sandblasting is not that coarse, but acid does-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Lasers don't do mottled
    Sure they do... it all depends upon the waveform selected for the final passes. You can make it mottled or you can make it (nearly) baby's butt smooth. and acid would do some serious undercutting at that depth.

Is definitely a fibre, probably a 20-30 watt but the power is anyones guess, the detail in the character is quite normal for deep engraving, it normally needs a quick clean with a shot blaster to remove it, its just burn slag from the removal process. Chinese galvos are actually very good now days Dan and only start to fall over at extreme speeds, like over 6000mm/Second, for deep material removal you would probably be going no faster than 600mm/Second. You can get a smooth bottom but it means using trick angles for the fill of each pass and also have a clean up pass routine after you have taken about 0.03mm of material away. I could do this job on my 50 watt laser in around 15 minutes, a 20 watt mike take around an hour to complete.
    I think it looks kind of cool
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

interesting on the mottled bottom, I've never seen any fiber engraved finish aside from the typical 'record groove'. But then, I haven't seen all that many.

I'd love to see pics of other similar engraving done by fiber...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

yhst-94738257750630_2269_14259212.gif
    This is done by an 80 watt YAG on titanium. The pass has a randomizing function to get the mottled look. It could be done with a lot less power to get an even gray look as well. You specify the frequency and angles and power and a few other variables to get the look you want.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings