Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly 15" Planer Tripping Circuit Breaker

Disconnect the power leads to the motor. If the motor is disconnected and the breaker still pops when the start button is pressed it is impossible for the problem to be the motor or capacitors!

I would look for insulation on a wire that has been pinched or cut by a sharp edge or just worn away by vibration. Be careful that the machine isn't "HOT" when the starting switch is engaged... that could be a lethal surprise!

I agree that this doesn't sound like a capacitor issue.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 05-27-2015 at 2:02 AM.

i have had the same issue a couple times with my G0454z, both times it was the starting capacitor. (they went bad 4 years apart and over 5000bf of material)

Ok, I know I'm coming to this late, but.... I had a problem similar to that twice in my ww carreer. Both times it was my TS. First time, it took a simple checking the lugs on the breaker and tightening them down to fix it. Loose lugs can be a big problem and dangerous. (A friend with a flir camera spotted it). Second time it was a bad breaker. I used it as a disconnect (bad idea) and simply wore it out triping it all the time to off. Put in a real disconnect.

The new capacitors didn't help, so I pulled the motor out and disassembled it. There's definitely a shorted winding, along with the requisite burn marks where it shorted out. So it's time for a new motor.

Grizzly's price is about $325 plus $50 shipping.

Does anyone know if there's anything "proprietary" about the 3HP 3450 RPM motors grizzly uses? My guess is that they are probably metric, non-standard frame size and some oddball shaft size but I haven't measured yet to see. I'd rather get one almost anywhere other than Grizzly if possible - can anyone suggest a source?

MotorBurn.jpg
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 05-28-2015 at 7:02 PM.

Hi Marty, IEC motors are very common, take it to a local motor shop and ask for a replacement...........Rod.

Can you post a pic of your motor plate? Nothing proprietary, but there are some specifications to match.

You will need to match frame type, can u upgrade to bigger hp?

The motor plate on the Grizzly leaves a lot to be desired...
    2015-05-28 17.44.54 (Medium).jpg

Class A insulation, interesting.

When I worked in industry everything we would was class F, however it does depend upon the motor temperature rise.

Just take it to a motor shop, they'll measure it for you and find a suitable replacement.................Rod.

Motors can sometimes e rewound. Take it to a motor shop like Ron says but also ask about the cost of repair.

I decided to just take the easy way out... Ordered from Grizzly, having a nephew pick it up at the Springfield warehouse and deliver it to me this evening.

Wasn't convinced that any local companies would have a replacement motor that I could obtain in a reasonable amount of time. And definitely don't think it could be re-wound economically -- Grizzly told me that when they replace a motor under warranty, they don't ask for the old one back. So clearly there's no money in fixing it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    I decided to just take the easy way out... Ordered from Grizzly, having a nephew pick it up at the Springfield warehouse and deliver it to me this evening.

Wasn't convinced that any local companies would have a replacement motor that I could obtain in a reasonable amount of time. And definitely don't think it could be re-wound economically -- Grizzly told me that when they replace a motor under warranty, they don't ask for the old one back. So clearly there's no money in fixing it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    Hi, no a small motor like that isn't worth rewinding.

Where I live the labour for a rewind starts at $700 so small motors are simply scrapped unless they have mechanical features that make them difficult to replace.......Rod.

Got the replacement motor from Grizzly on Friday evening (thanks to my nephew for delivering it!) and installed in about an hour on Saturday. Back in business and all is well.

Blog Entries
    Glad you got it taken care of. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler