Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your hardware organizers

Show me your hardware organizers

So this last weekend I realized two things: (1) The prices my local hardware store charges for hardware (wood screws, machine screws, etc.) aren't going to reverse direction (and they've gone up quite a bit). (2) I need more room to store stuff so I can buy in bulk, and still find what I need.

I was thinking of buying four of the Akro-Mils cabinets (pictured) and wall mounting the things.

I have something similar to that now, but need more drawers.

What have you guys done?

Any pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have two smaller versions of those setting empty at the foot of my smaller bandsaw. Wish you were closer. I found them usable and was at the point of building some sliding panels to mount them on so I could get more storage in a smaller space but, shifted gears to Plano boxes.

The little dividers in the cabinets you show wouldn't stay put; I even glued some of them in finally. Like the Plano boxes they are good for smaller stuff but, rapidly become over-taxed for larger hardware.

I use Plano for most screws and project supplies,

Storage-containers (1).jpg . Storage-containers (2).jpg

shoe boxes for larger project items,

Storage-containers (5).jpg . Storage-containers (6).jpg

and other containers for larger nuts, bolts and screws that see little use.

Storage-containers (3).jpg . Storage-containers (4).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-26-2015 at 3:42 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I found them cheap @ BORG. You can see all of them mounted in little frames with cleats on the Workshop thread. I really like them. Easy to use. Easy to keep up with. Need somethign, take the drawer out.

I did, however, during the re-organization, buy a bunch of huge bins from WalMart and organized all my HF stuff and bulk screws, etc. so now, I can just pull out a bin drawer--that pic is also in the Workshop under 'renovation complete'

Cleats are cool. I have never moved the boxes, but if I wanted to, I could.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The little dividers in the cabinets you show wouldn't stay put; I even glued some of them in finally. Like the Plano boxes they are good for smaller stuff but, rapidly become over-taxed for larger hardware.
    Were they the Akro-Mils brand? The one I have now isn't Akro-Mils, but the dividers work fine. I'd hate to buy four of these and find the dividers don't work well. In fact, you have to order dividers for these separately sort of, they don't include more than a few for each unit.

My storage system for hardware

I built myself an expandable system from an article in ShopNotes #2. I thought it was so cool and easy to do. It was one of my first projects and it still serves my well. Please excuse the mess. Like you I try to buy in bulk. I hate having to make special trips for a few screws or bolts of whatever.
    Last edited by Larry Wilson; 05-26-2015 at 2:41 PM.

Free if you can find a local library that's ready to get rid of them after years of taking up space in their storage closet.
    IMG_2840.JPG

In the shop, full extension drawers with the Vidmar type plastic boxes. For jobsite, I've been migrating to sortainers. Might do that for everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Were they the Akro-Mils brand? The one I have now isn't Akro-Mils, but the dividers work fine. I'd hate to buy four of these and find the dividers don't work well. In fact, you have to order dividers for these separately sort of, they don't include more than a few for each unit.
    A couple of them are 'Stack-On' brand and fairly new. One is an unknown but, is probably 30 years old. The dividers are all equally bad in both styles so I would try to get more of what you have. I see the reviews on Akro Mils units were about what I faced. They're great for buttons and beads but the whole housing buckles if you get too much weight in them like screws, nuts and bolts. I dropped an email to Plano asking how to go about getting additional dividers. About a week later, a dozen strips of 6 showed up in the mail???
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-26-2015 at 4:23 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Davis View Post
    Free if you can find a local library that's ready to get rid of them after years of taking up space in their storage closet.
    IMG_2840.JPG

Got enough vises there, Darrin?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I picked this up at the salvage yard for ~$35 IIRC. Industrial grade, it holds a ton of stuff. The drawers come out easily if you want to take it them the bench.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Davis View Post
    IMG_2840.JPG
    Pssst, hey buddy, can you spare a vise?

Well the unit I have now is an older model Akro-Mils, and I found another one at work that wasn't doing anything important, so I brought it home.

I like all the options presented here, so I'm hoping the one additional unit I found will tide me over until I can consider something better thought-out than my original plan.

I'm sure you will figure out I received the same organization gene as my brother.

I have most of my small items in Durham small drawers. They are surprisingly inexpensive as most of them were bought from zorotools at 20% off, and free freight over $50. That make this drawer unit $13.23: http://www.zoro.com/durham-compartme...71/i/G1076302/
    IMG_0588.jpg
    They do get more expensive when you add the sliding rack and buy the bigger drawer units:
    IMG_0590.jpg
    This bigger beige drawers are leftovers from many different paper storage. Bought 25 years ago for real money but pretty obsolete today.

I also have some of the Durham larger drawers:
    IMG_0591.jpg

The Stanley drawers sold by the big box stores are useful for some pieces that are fairly light weight but screws and hardware max them out pretty quick. Those items are getting moved to the Durham units:
    IMG_0592.jpg

I'm convinced that it is cheaper to buy to stuff in quantity when it is readily available than it is to go find it when you need it. The catch is that you need to organize it so you don't have to go buy more because you can't find the stuff you know you have.......somewhere.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 05-26-2015 at 9:57 PM.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Cheap to build not counting the labor. The full extension drawers are through dovetails in BB, the boxes are box joints in BB.

My grandfather started this with 3 jar carousels and I ran with it :

fastener rack 002.jpg