Thread: New Wood Shop for New Woodworker

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Wood Shop for New Woodworker

I am fairly new to woodworking although I have been a watcher and admirer for many years but never had the space to get real serious. This summer my lovely wife has given me the green light to finish a 1,200 square foot basement space that will be used partly as a gym/dance studio, a recreation room and a wood shop. Over half the space will be for a dedicated wood shop approximately 15x 35 feet with another area roughly 6x15 that I may end up using as a finishing area or storage. This space is a walk out basement that will have great access with a 5x7 roll up type garage door. The flooring currently is a cement slab and I am mulling around new ideas for flooring. The walls are not way tall, around 8 feet tall and lower in some places with duct work. The space is fully heated and air conditioned and has lots of natural light. The house is a bit odd as this space is technically called a sub-basement. We have a full basement above this and this is additional extra space. It does not have any water or sewer available to it to add a bathroom or washroom.

This is what the house looks like from outside with the space we are talking about being at the very bottom.

Outdoor House.jpg

This is what the space looked like before we started:

Before.jpgBefore 2.jpg

This is what the overall plan of the space looks like:

Here are some more detailed plans specifically for the woodshop. Sorry just my mock up, nothing official and some things may be slightly not to scale. Sorry there are no real dimensions but the main shop area is about 15X30 ish.

As far as tools go this is what I have currently collected and will have to work with until I get completed.

• Rigid Table Saw TS3650
    • Powematic 8" Jointer Model 60
    • Grizzly 14" Ultimate Bandsaw G0555 with Riser Block
    • Delta Radial Arm Saw Model 33-990
    • DeWALT 13" Planer DW735
    • Jet JDP-17MF Drill Press
    • Jet DC-1100A Dust Collector with Vortex modification
    • DeWALT SCMS DW708

So if anyone has any suggestions at all about the layout or where things would go I would gladly take your input. Also, which of these machines would you run 220 two or should I just run 220 to ever side of the shop? Obviously I would run it for the jointer but what about the TS and DC?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images