Thread: Grizzley?

Question Grizzley?

I read the reviews of the 8" jointers in American Woodworker and was intrigued by the Grizzley G0500. I looked it up on Amazon to read their reviews and for the most part the reviews were quite good. Then I noticed "the new releases" and looked up the Grizzley G0586. Same machine with a couple of the "Cons" [from the review in AW] fixed for $200 less!? I contacted Grizzley about the difference and their answer was, one made in Taiwan and the cheaper one [with more features] made in China! $200? I don't know know. Anyone out there have a opinions on a jointer made in China? $650 for an 8" wide, 2HP, 75" long bed jointer seems too good to be true.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

A jointer is not a space shuttle. It is a motor, blade holder and table. If the in feed and out feed table are flat and adjustable, both of them it will join boards as well as one can join.

If there are adjustments to correct for wear on the ways the tables slide on then you can adjust, and the mfg. should already have done that, for any small errors in manufacture. You cannot adjust out a cupped or bowed table. Or adjust for the ways being machined incorrectly.

Grizzly has a guarantee. I would find out what their standards are for things like bowed, cupped or mis machined parts, buy the jointer and buy the better deal. If when I checked the machine out for these specs, it didn't make it, I'd ask for Grizzly to correct it. Even better if you can go to a Grizzly location and buy the machine after looking it over in person.

According to Grizzly's president (on another forum), the jointer is made by the same mfr (Geetech I assume) who set up a Chineese factory. The basic design is the same. They did the same thing with 15" planers last year. So far, all the reviews I've seen of the new machines have been positive. Do a search, a couple of the reviews are here.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I've been using one for a month now. No complaints here.

My G0586 is still in the crate in the garage, so I can't comment on the performance of this particular unit. Planing on setting it up this weekend if I get the chance, although a family reuninon tomorrow may make that impossible.

What I can tell you is a story or two about Grizzly and their customer service - but you won't find any complaints here - all of the stories are good. No, make that VERY good. In the last two months I've bought the following from Grizzly: the G0576 Tablesaw, the G0513 Bandsaw, the G0440 Cyclone, and the G0586 Jointer. I'll be ordering a 15" planer - likely the G0551 next week. As you might be able to tell, I'm VERY pleased with the products, service, and value I've received. I've had two issues with the equipment, and neither was the fault of Grizzly - however they quickly took care of my needs. The first issue was that the shipping comapny lost the fence to the Tablesaw (it comes in a seperate box). Grizzly shipped me another in quick fashion. The second issue manifested itself when the Bandsaw tipped over inside the delivery truck and substained a small amount of paint damage. I called Grizzly CS and asked if touch up paint was available. Yep, and they sent out a can of touch up paint at no charge.

These are issues one would expect to be handled by a CS department, but the difference is in the professional way my concerns were addressed. I can not say enough about Grizzly's order process and customer service department. In my book they have a class act!
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

I have followed some very favorable users of the G0586 on other forums. I also believe the old 6" is scheduled to be discontinued in the near future. (don't quote me tho)
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

I have a small 1.5HP Grizzly shaper and a 1/4 HP power feeder on it. CS at Grizzly has been exceptional. The other thing that has blown me away has been their shipping. It has always amazed me how fast they get stuff out of the wharehouse. I called and ordered the power feeder on a Tuesday and it got here by Thursday BY TRUCK.
    Let the wood speak!

my buddy has that machine......took forever to get it however. its a nice machine and the price can't be beat. i would buy one if i didn't already own a jointer. as was said, they aren't real complicated machines its a table with knives and a motor.....wait and see what grizzlys competitors do....
    chris

Smile

I recieved my G0586 a few weeks ago after waiting many months. But the wait was worth it. The machine came highly tuned. Both tables are parallel with each other within .001 and I could not get a .001 feeler guageunder any part of a 32" machinist sraight edge placed on either infeed or outfeed tables. I have put thorough about 60' of maple and oak boards. Quiet, smooth and good fit and finish.

I am generally the biggest whiner about recent machine quality, but I am as happy as a Grizzly in a honey tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    ...Even better if you can go to a Grizzly location and buy the machine after looking it over in person.
    The time I went to the showroom, I got great service, but when I said "sold" they gave me paperwork to take to their warehouse down the street, and loaded a crated unit. I doubt if you get to "kick the tires" on the actual unit other than at their annual tent sale for scratch and dent goods.

A Word About Grizzly

Byron,

I purchased a Grizzley 8" jointer once and it turned into such a fiasco that I finally got the company to take it back after almost 5 months.

I start a thread on it titled "Grizzley Chokes". Look it up under my name if you are interested. There are, I think, 42 responses both good and bad so it would serve as a good representation of what the Creekers have to say about Grizzley.

What it came down to was a problem with a part, and after 4 months the company couldn't get it right. I promptly went and bought a Jet and couldn't be happier with the product AND the customer service.

A learned a valuable lesson about buying tools: The tool might be a great deal if everything is good with it, but if not, the deal is only as good as the customer service, and for that, I am willing to pay a little extra for. Just like having an insurance policy.

Buy the best tool you can afford from a company that has a good reputation.

Just my 2 pennies.

Good Luck,

Jay

Be Careful on Jointers...

There are a lot of "jointers are simple and virtually all the same unless warped or cast poorly" opinions here, and I wouldn't argue that. BUT... I had a Delta jointer once that WAS warped (fence), and after replacing 4, they finally got one that was okay. It was a major hassle. What I also found out in the process was that their standards (and I'm sure Grizzly is similar in this regard) for "within spec" are quite loose -- too loose for me. A fence that touches a Starrett straight-edge at the blade and is 1/8" off the straightedge at the end (on a 6 inch jointer -- so what are we talking about here -- about a 28" run???) was "within specs."

That's why on the next jointer I ordered, I ordered from a company that I knew inspected each machine before they shipped it.

Send 3 fences back (40-50lbs each) and see if that's an expense that you like! Yuk! Anyway... my humble but well-schooled opinion on this is try to either deal with a company that pre-inspects or where you can see THE jointer you're going to buy beforehand.

Yes, they're simple... and believe it or not, that just adds to the frustration when one is "off." Maybe in a complicated, highly adjustable machine, you could "compensate" for a non-flat or out of square condition. But what do you do with 3 flat pieces of metal when something is bent, warped, or not adjustable to be co-planar?

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL