Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

1 Jun 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've been applying finish to two guitar bodies as well as some other woodworking activities as time permits. The adventure of making a guitar has been on my bucket list for a long time now and it took a guy at work to talk me into it...and so the adventure started. It's been way too fun for me and for Chuck.

I've got out of state family visiting this week and we'll see how my schedule goes this week.
    I'm continuing to hope and pray for this rain to stop for a while because we can only take just so much flooding before it gets real serious. My prayers go out to all those across the country that have suffered loss to floods over the past couple of weeks or so.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Finally a big WW weekend for me! I finished setting up my new 17" G0513X2BF BS and after a few test cuts started slicing into the first board of 8/4 white ash that I'm using for a platform bed project. I'm definitely pleased with the saw and will offer my impressions/critique for those who might be interested (as it seems to be a custom here) in a follow-up posting at some point. I only purchased two blades to use with it initially, a Timberwolf 1/2" 0.025 3 tpi pos claw resaw and another Timberwolf 1/4" 0.025 10 tpi raker for tight curves. But now I need to find a good general purpose 1/2" blade. Then there are jigs to make, and a table light, and...

Glad that guitar project is moving along!

I spend significant (for me) time in the shop this weekend working on my latest tack trunk commission, getting the sapele trim milled on Saturday and getting the QSWO carcasses built on Sunday, ready for dye. (the dye needs to be applied prior to the trim) I'll probably get the dye work done next Saturday and work on the drawer while that's drying. Once the trim is on, I can build the lid (it has to be sized exactly to the carcass + trim, so that measurement can't be done until the trim is applied) and move on to finishing the following weekend.

Sapele trim milled:

I use road case type handles on my trunks at this point...much easier for lifting and they don't stick out to the side like fixed handles do. Recesses need to be cut in the trunk ends to accommodate them and a template is used to lay out the cuts. Those cuts are made prior to trunk assembly so the workpiece can be flat and hanging off the edge of the bench...cuts are carefully made with a jigsaw after drilling a clean hole in one corner on the DP.

Trunk carcass in-progress...it's always best to build any interior features at this point rather than having to reach down into a deep box after the fact. This commission gets an internal compartment with a hinged lid.

Ready for dye

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No woodworking this weekend but I did get some things accomplished.

We have a kitchen remodel going on right now and simultaneously they are replacing all the windows in our home. All but two basement windows have been replaced. I am providing some of the non-essential grunt labor. Saturday, I caulked the new addition in preparation to painting it. I will paint it later this week, weather permitting. Sunday afternoon, I washed with water mixed with TSP, rinsed and dried two walls in our dining area to remove any traces of wallpaper paste in preparation to having new texturing done.

It's been enjoyable to watch the contractor and sub-contractors do their jobs! Watching skilled tradesman, one can learn so much and learn to appreciate them at their craft!

When I remodeled the basement bathroom, being a detail nut, I ran 2x2's perpendicular to the floor joists, shimming them to produce a level ceiling. The electricians were able to use the 1 1/2" space to pull the wires for the new kitchen to the electrical panel without cutting into the bathroom ceiling. My wife did a happy dance!

In our utility room, our water heater sits next to the washer and dryer. When we had a gas water heater in stalled, I insisted they install a "T" in the gas line where it passes over the dryer, in case we ever decided to get a gas dryer. Well, they are going use that "T", install another one and go about 4' and up through the sub-floor for the kitchen to provide gas for the new range. That's making for an easy installation of the gas source in the new kitchen.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Roughed out three Sycamore bowls. [wood compliments of fellow creeker David Privet] they range in size from 15"-12".
    Also worked on a jewelry box for my daughter it to is made of Sycamore but this lumber was cut and sawn on my property several years ago. I love the grain of Sycamore, one of my favorite species of lumber.
    Spent the rest of the weekend cutting firewood, most of which was a very large Sweet Gum tree that was blown down during a recent storm. Man, that Sweet gum is hard to split, i'll be looking for an hydraulic splitter come next year.
    Also spent a little time in the garden between rain showers, trying to stay ahead of the weeds. Found deer tracks in the garden.......rascals!!

Blog Entries
    Saturday, LOML and I went to a design event for the day. We saw some pretty cool stuff and got some good ideas.

Yesterday, I worked on various details of the collector's case. Made good progress but it always seems too slow.

I was able to put the finishing coat of wax on the latest project. It's from the Kerry pierce book "Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture". This one is air dried Pennsylvania black walnut (so far I've made them in Cherry, curly maple and birds-eye maple). (Notice the sycamore drawer sides) This one is all hand done planed/jointed/scraped etc. Turned ebony knob, with a home made oil/varnish finish rubbed on and waxed.
    IMG_1341.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1357_2.jpg

Perhaps this is appropriate in the Peacock weekend thread.

I gathered peacock feathers and took some Sunday to show the kids in my kindergarten class and large group (50 kids). We have 5 peacocks.

Also, the bees are really buzzing this year. I assembled and stacked more honey supers on the bee hives. Even used glue and staples and nails. There, something related to wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    I was able to put the finishing coat of wax on the latest project. It's from the Kerry pierce book "Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture". This one is air dried Pennsylvania black walnut (so far I've made them in Cherry, curly maple and birds-eye maple). (Notice the sycamore drawer sides) This one is all hand done planed/jointed/scraped etc. Turned ebony knob, with a home made oil/varnish finish rubbed on and waxed.
    IMG_1341.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1357_2.jpg
    Beautiful piece!! Like I said "I love that Sycamore".

I spent the weekend installing a dishwasher, and completing the sanding on one bed of a twin bed set I am building. The joinery is all completed on both beds, when I can complete the sanding on the 2nd bed they will be ready for glue up, final sanding, and finish. I started these beds November of last year, and worked intermittently on them since then, at last I can see the end in sight IMG_0422.jpg
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Got up Saturday morning at 7:00 AM, and made ham and cinnamon biscuits for self and grandsons, plus wife's dad. I make um, she delivers them. Then made an apple pie, canned filling, with home made crust. Next started beef stroganoff in slow cooker. Cleaned up mess in kitchen from cooking. By then it was 11:00 o'clock. Worked around house till three PM, then came in and finished stroganoff, steamed some brocolli. We then packed it up to take over to wife's dads for supper. (He's 94 and lives by himself) Came home, finished few remaining dishes, read a little and crashed. Got up Sunday and went to take measurements for a job, while Y was closed. Came home, and one set of grandkids came over. After they left, serviced heat pump in addition. Ate supper, read some and then crashed.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-02-2015 at 9:18 PM.