Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adult Children paying board?

Our four boys pretty much make more $$ than wifey and I.They have come and gone here.....and will in the future.They move for jobs and usually need a spot to hole up for a few months.We never even discuss money,realizing how they're all overachievers anyway.We love having them here,it's a pretty big house so they can do whatever they want?

The one time I practically begged one and his wife to live here,it was with the stipulation that we'd charge them,and then use the money for a down payment(as posted above).They love being out on their own,and got an apt 15 miles away,but closer to work for them.That was a good year,they used to eat dinner with us frequently(usually,they'd snag sumthin and bring it out).

It's funny you say that, Erik. We have the same thing with my relatives (Indian). The ladies CRINGE when I try to wash dishes, so I usually acquiesce. But I think it's the attempt that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It's funny you say that, Erik. We have the same thing with my relatives (Indian). The ladies CRINGE when I try to wash dishes, so I usually acquiesce. But I think it's the attempt that counts.
    My wife and I have a system: She cooks and I clean up. Not because of any stereotypes but because we want the food to actually taste good and because I find the ritual of cleaning to be relaxing. When we visit family in Mexico, they won't let her cook, since she is a guest and they won't let me clean. We also acquiesce but there is some discomfort in that.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

What I've learned, from raising three kids, is the more you give them, the more they come to expect. Adult children have an obligation to help defray the cost of their living at home. Whether the parents need the money or not should have no influence on the decision. Children need to learn responsibility and the cost of being independent, something they eventually will have to become. And if they keep acting like kids, push them out of the nest. They might not like it then, but they will appreciate it later because they will grow up sooner.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I would say yes, you need to charge something for the privilege to stay with you. Depending on her circumstances or job situation you would be best to negotiate a set price and possibly a set timeframe or term. I would treat it very similar to renting a room out to a stranger. Not knowing your circumstances, it's become so commonplace and almost a running joke that the parent's 30-something kids have never left home and don't make much effort to step it up and take responsibility for themselves. Consider: Do you still pay for her cell phone, insurance and other items?
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

% of income implies she still has a job? Make sure she has plans to move back out. I work with a couple of guys, who have been at the same job as me for over 18 years, who are 39 years old and have never been on their own nor care to be. Something is wrong with a person who doesn't strive to be independent.

Decent of you to help when your child gets stuck. Most of us old enough to remember the '80s (not just the TV version) have little exposure to the current job market, and cost of living. Been there once, myself.

As a matter of principle, board or board-equivalent is certainly appropriate under many circumstances. There are certainly some cases where it could be a hardship for them to pay, at least temporarily, and as parents we have to make a decision on that based on the reality of the situation. "Adult children returning home" isn't uncommon anymore and every situation is different.

Our almost 20 year old daughter lives at home and while we do not currently require her to pay board, we do expect participation in the household responsibilities. She is what I'll call a "mild special needs" individual and living independent may be a tough row to hoe for her. She is now holding a part-time job and working a couple of shifts weekly for spending money, which is a good thing. If she didn't have those special needs, and still decided not to go to Community College, etc., I would probably handle things the same way as my parents did with my brother. He chose to work rather than go to school and after six months, had to pay my mother several hundred a month for board which was very fair. And if either of my girls "left the nest" but had to come home in the future, under most circumstances, I'd expect the same from them, adjusted for current values. It wouldn't be about "the money", per se, but about taking responsibility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I lived with my parents for almost six months last year after I sold my house and was looking for another one. I paid them rent plus I helped cut the lawn and helped out with other stuff. My stay was longer than I hoped because the house I bought needed two and a half months of work to be liveable.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Something is wrong with a person who doesn't strive to be independent.
    Depends on where you are in the world. Living at home until you're married is pretty common in Asia. Central and South America.

Moving out and living on one's own is largely a northern European idea.

My son moved back in with us after being on his own for a few years. The reason is he had no job and no money. You can't get rent out of someone who is broke. I do believe that every adult should pay his/her own way, even one's on offspring, and wouldn't let him stay for free. While he was here, he and I renovated a majority of the house together. That helped me to update a 30 year old house and it helped him maintain his sense of self worth while unemployed. It was a time I will treasure in more ways than one.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 06-03-2015 at 11:15 AM.

My youngest daughter has boomeranged back to us for a third time. Previous to that my son boomeranged back once as did our eldest daughter. We are happy to help them out in these circumstances, have never charged for room and board. They have always contributed in one fashion or other including paying for groceries and doing chores, etc. I can't see making them pay rent. If they could afford rent they would certainly be living on their own. In fact, they don't want to live with us, its their circumstances that are forcing it. Family is family and we will always be willing to do what we can to help each and everyone one of them. How in gods name could I live with myself if I became some sort of landlord to them? That's just not the way we raised our kids.

We have a single child, 13, so we have yet to experience any of this but I think my wife would shoot me if I tried to charge our future adult child to stay with us if she needed to. Her customs in Serbia, I think, are like that. My wife likes family to be close because she was close to all of hers until she left for the US. I guess we'll see in time but I really don't have any worries. I have a feeling my daughter would want to be out on her own anyway. I think my wife will go a bit crazy when our daughter does eventually leave home. All she'll have is me then! LOL! Might need to get a dog or something....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-04-2015 at 4:35 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Our eldest daughter and her husband moved in with us a little over a year ago, and everyday life seems to be better. They live here as if it's their house or apartment, and they help with all chores. It's been great for my wife, as she always has someone to go places with her that I wouldn't. We share all meals together, and they do all of the cleaning up after the meal. We charge them $800.00 per month, that covers everything except for any special items that they want. Everything is shared equally, and they have the upper level of the house to use as their own. We prefer the basement, it's more comfortable for us and we always spent more time down there anyway (it's where the big tv is). We don't need the money we're charging them, but, we will not be returning it to them when they leave either. This is the daughter that will be inheireting the house when we're gone, and we intend to give this money to our youngest daughter to offset giving the house to our oldest. We are trying to be fair to each, we've always tried to make sure that each one got the same amount of whatever. There is no expectation on our behalf that they will ever move out, since we've been asking them for years to move in. They do all or most of the work around here that needs to be done, it sure has made life a lot easier on my wife and myself.
    Len