Thread: Light hearted electrical warning

Light hearted electrical warning

Just a word of caution when you put an outlet every four feet in your workshop.

If you insulate it yourself, you will have to custom fit every third batt of insulation.

Just got done with the installation, and I think there were three batts that I did not have to cut to width, cut a section out of, or separate for the wires.

I was going to have it blown in like the house, but they would not be able to get there for a couple of weeks. I think it would have been about the same price, but I did not want to wait that long. It is 20x12 so it took me about 4-5 hours to get the ceiling and walls insulated and polyed.

Anyway, I am done and now my propane heater will roast chickens in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    Anyway, I am done and now my propane heater will roast chickens in there.
    Hmm roasted chicken sounds good - great now I'm hungry.

Cutting and fitting the insulation around the outlets is a one time annoyance. You will be thankful to have the extra outlets every time you use the shop.

I have wired some of my walls with outlets every 32". I ran two sets of wires and used different circuits for each. This lets me plug in shop vac on one line and another power tool on the other line without risking blowing the breaker. For me, the biggest hassle was cutting holes in the sheetrock.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Cutting and fitting the insulation around the outlets is a one time annoyance. You will be thankful to have the extra outlets every time you use the shop.

I have wired some of my walls with outlets every 32". I ran two sets of wires and used different circuits for each. This lets me plug in shop vac on one line and another power tool on the other line without risking blowing the breaker. For me, the biggest hassle was cutting holes in the sheetrock.

Steve
    I would rather muck out the horse stalls than hang sheetrock. For me, it is one of the most vile jobs out there. Not as bad as cleaning up after cows, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I would rather muck out the horse stalls than hang sheetrock. For me, it is one of the most vile jobs out there. Not as bad as cleaning up after cows, but close.

Pigs, ever clean up after pigs? (speaking of thread crapping...)

Anyway, I agree though, I have done enough drywalling to know I would not want to do it for a living. And the only sheetrock in the workshop will be on the ceiling. I am using pine carsiding for the walls. So cutting for the outlets won't be so bad.

Suggestion :

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    ... now my propane heater will roast chickens in there.
    It's best take your propane heater to the kitchen or outside to roast your chickens. Don't use your wood shop. You may get grease splatters on your cherry.

Wish I had put in more outlets when I put my shop together...

Two words - surface mounting.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    Two words - surface mounting.

Then you have a electrical installation that looks like & is a afterthought.

My wife makes me cook the chicken on the patio...
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    The new work boxes with the jacking screw make hanging sheetrock much easier. Still though, you'll be done doing stalls quicker than sheet rocking, but the horses will just make a new mess for you the next day. Sheet rocking does eventually end.

Why is there always one horse in a barn that poops in their water bucket!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)