Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 16" jointer?

Which 16" jointer?

I'm looking at two used 16" jointers, both for about the same money, $3,500 approx, plus maybe $500 for the truck rental / gas EMA jointer.jpgWotan jointer.jpgto get it to my place.

One is a 1959 Wotan (German) machine, 3 phase, 220 volt.
    The other is a late 1980s (the owner thinks) EMA (Italian?), I don't know the electrical.

That's all the information I have right now on these machines. They are both a couple of hours drive away and so I haven't seen them.

The alternative is a new General International with a helical head. If I got a used machine I'd consider changing the head to a helical in the future, and that's maybe $1,500.

Any insights and opinions very welcomed.

thanks!

I'd probably go with the EMA from the pictures. You can use the machine quite well with the existing blades and make the decision to go to a helical head later, if you think it's worth it.

I don't know EMA so I don't know its reputation.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd go with whichever one includes a guard. Yikes.

Ha! Just noticed that.

If they both have flat tables and a good fence system.I pick the one with the largest diameter head with hopefully a 20 degree hook angle.

Best tables and largest diameter head. If one had oil bath bearings I'd take that as a plus but guess neither will. The GI will not be in the build class as either of those. Dave

PS Wotan is Tersa. I'd take that over helical on a jointer. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 06-20-2015 at 3:57 PM.

All good info. I've read many discussions about Tersa v helical, and in all probability I'd stick with whatever head is on the machine for many years to come.

Does anyone have any opinion on which make has a better reputation? And is the price range good for a used machine?

Don't know anything about either of these machines- way above my pay grade. Just have to say, though, that "Wotan" (German for "Odin") is by far the cooler name. Why can't tool makers today come up with great names like that? As names, "Jet" and "Grizzly" don't come close, and "Powermatic" and "Craftsman" sound just plain wimpy, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    The other is a late 1980s (the owner thinks) EMA (Italian?), I don't know the electrical.
    EMA was a Canadian company that at one time owned Casadei (now part of SCM Group).

Parts may be somewhat more available than the other jointer. Both seem like good choices though.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 06-20-2015 at 5:46 PM.

It's great that I can get all this info from you all. That way when the motor seizes up I can say "look, honey, it was these guys said to buy it."

Overall are these machines most likely a better machine than a new General International? or dare I suggest a new Grizzly?

Older jointers are some of the best machines to buy used. Build quality, cast iron, grinding tolerences, bearings, and motors were far superior. Equivalent build today would be about 10-12k for cast iron base and 7-8K for steel base. Dave

If either has a Tersa head, I would grab it and leave it as is.. I own and use a 12" Griggio with a Tersa head and prefer it to a Helical for a jointer. If I get a nick from a staple or whatever, I slide a single knife over 1mm and its gone. Having said that, if it was helical, it would be fine too.. Its just not that big a deal on a Jointer. My other jointer is a 16" Griggio which is being restored.. I priced out both Byrd and Tersa .. In this case, Byrd is way cheaper .. so I'll go Byrd, but again, I wouldn't care if it was Tersa.

As far as parts go ... I'm not sure what parts you would expect to be buying .. If the machine is complete, it could need bearings and V-Belts.. otherwise it will be like trying to wear out the bucket on a dump truck ..

Just looked in my Grizzly catalog, a 16" extreme series jointer, 5hp with straight blades is 4350, plus 255 shipping, while the helical head same jointer is 6495 plus 255 shipping. Only thing I can imagine wearing out on a jointer is the bearings, blades, belts. Unless it has been dropped out of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Overall are these machines most likely a better machine than a new General International? or dare I suggest a new Grizzly?
    My vote is for the EMA/Casadei but I don't think there's any question that either of these machines are better choices than the aforementioned Chiwanese ones.

Can always add a Suva Guard if you felt the need for it.

I believe Martin USA sells them.

Peter, that looks like a real good guard. Only thing is it sticks out on the side where I would walk with the board past the cutter. I'd like to see it and try it sometime.

Can I ask you why you like the EMA? - is it that they have a good reputation, or is it because it's newer? or something I don't even know to ask?