Thread: Grub error

Grub error

So I noticed my spindle was getting a little sticky and put on some anti-seize compound. The chuck spun on much better and seated nicely. Everything went well until I reversed for sanding and suddenly had a 16" Frisbee aimed at the glass wall behind my lathe. The chuck stayed attached in the 1/8" recess, but part of the platter broke off along a fault line. Fortunately, it was a clean break and I'm hoping some white glue will take care of it. I tightened the chuck with a wrench the next time out and everything seems to be okay again. The grub screws are missing from my SN2 chucks and the Grizzly never had one. Does anybody happen to know the size?

20150602_163025.jpg

The glass wall is okay and so am I. I was never in the line of fire and tempered glass is remarkably strong. P.S. The wood isn't as bad as it looks. I'm just really sloppy with the epoxy.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Doug! Glad to hear all is back in one piece and you didn't get any injuries, I wouldn't want to replace that glass wall behind you lathe either. Just measured the screw as 1/4 inch, and the length is 7/16.
    That's the spindle adapter set screw that you tighten into the spindle directly.

It may be 1/4" but I would take insert/chuck to the hardware store with me.
    The grub screw from the chuck body is metric (M6) as well as the jaws screws. The screw in the insert to spindle may well be metric also.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for the replies. Off to Ace Hardware. The problem with set screws is they slow you down when you're changing chucks. I wonder if a thumb screw would work. Nothing big enough to put it out of balance or anything, just something that might not require a tool.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

[QUOTE=Doug Herzberg;2425780 I wonder if a thumb screw would work.[/QUOTE]

It may work but there isn't much room for turning it between the chuck body and the headstock.
    To check if it is M6 remove one jaw screw and see if it threads in.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 06-03-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe