Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Turning Project & Intro

I've discovered that I can't stop searching craigslist for free cut down trees. I've got 4 ads saved in my area and I might go grab a few logs. This rabbit hole might get deep.

I'm eyeing up two black walnut trees in my backyard as well.

Congrats on the lathe. Welcome to the forum and the vortex! No need to take down mature trees unnecessarily. It took a long time for them to get that way. As you look around you will find plenty of wood. Make friends with the township crew that removes trees now and then. You will run out of space!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Congrats on the lathe. Welcome to the forum and the vortex! No need to take down mature trees unnecessarily. It took a long time for them to get that way. As you look around you will find plenty of wood. Make friends with the township crew that removes trees now and then. You will run out of space!
    Thanks for the thought Doug, the one walnut tree I'm eyeing up actually a little suspect. A branch from a bigger near by oak tree fell off and broke three or four branches off of the walnut. The branches are hanging towards the ground and I have to dodge them when cutting the grass. I'll probably knock that one down and leave the healthy one.

Make friends with a local Arborist, and join a local Woodturner's Club. Free wood abounds when you have connections. After storms pass through Middle Tennessee, I can drive to work and practically fill my pickup truck, if I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Little View Post
    I've discovered that I can't stop searching craigslist for free cut down trees. I've got 4 ads saved in my area and I might go grab a few logs. This rabbit hole might get deep.

I'm eyeing up two black walnut trees in my backyard as well.
    I've been known to grab my hat and start running out the door when I hear a chainsaw in the neighborhood "Hey that's the song of my people". At this point loml just rolls her eyes.

Wait until you have stacks of bowls and scoops and stuff around the house, eventually I'll have to sell some just to make room.