Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What tool did you buy today?

I bought a wall mount bottle opener for my next project. (The opener is the project) Looking forward to using that too.

David,
    Very nice Quincy compressor. 4 cylinders too, wow. I have never seen one with fresh air intake like that.
    Motor appears to be 3-phase. Must be 10 HP or more?

I purchased this monster at auction two Saturdays ago. Just brought it home Sunday as I had to make a roller base for it.
    Northwood 24 SLG. Has a single phase 7-1/2 HP motor on it. Even the bed rollers are driven. I love it already...Northwood.Planer.jpg

Lights

We've been doing the same thing, I hate those halogen lights, they do not store well, they do not work when you need them, and they get way to hot. We've been replacing ours with LED versions that fold up and actually work when you plug them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clifton View Post
    I am going the other way - I eliminated a light stand with 2 halogen lights. Old, tippy and pinched you when you picked them up.

Sweet, I have planer envy...

we just bought a Powermatic 15" with a Byrd cutter on it last Dec. I kept going back and forth between old iron, new iron and what size. Landed on 15" since I can't remember not being able to fit anything in the old dewalt 13" we have. Should have bought the 20" though.

I just closed (bought) a new (to me) shop. 3478 sq ft., three roll up doors, three man doors, bathroom, small office and in need of a good bit of work..

Steven,
    That is almost big enough. LOL
    I would love to have that much space, but I would just fill it with more tools. My shop space is 22'-24'. I built this onto the back of our existing 22'-24' detached garage. I have managed to fill up the old garage with my wood storage and woodworking tools that I either need to sale or I am fixing up before coming into the shop. There is just enough room for my wives motorcycle. And she gets very upset when the tools breach the bikes perimeter. LOL

Neil,
    I had my eye on the 20" Grizzly for around 2 years, hoping the planets would align and I would find a good deal on one. Is your Powermatic a version of the Grizzly, or a tru Powermatic made here in the States? Would love to have one, but just can't afford it. I actually went to the auction to purchase a 37" Perfomax double drum sander they had. I stopped bidding at $1100. It had alot of miles on it, but figured I could fix anything that went wrong with it. I spoke with the winning bidder after auction. He said they are over $5000 new now and would have gone to $2500 to get this one. Boy, the wife would have been upset if I had out-bid him on that one. LOL. Not sure if it is poor form, but I will share anyway. I won the bid on the planer at $400! I found the Northwood in a magazine from the late 80's, it was advertised for $6700. Feel like I done pretty good. The Grizzly I had my eye on was around $2000 and then they get you for another $250 to ship it. As long as I can find parts for this monster, I will be happy. Luckily the blades are the standard 24"-1-1/8"-1/8" most machines that size have. With the knife grinder built in, I figure I wond need to change them often anyway.

Last Sunday I bought a Stanley Bailey #6 plane in great shape for $20 at a flea market. A few minutes later at another booth I bought a beautiful Stanley #82 scraper for $15.

Ours was made here, We purchased a bit of new equipment this year for our remodeling companies cabinet shop. Should have got the 20" but I'm not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubbs View Post
    Neil,
    I had my eye on the 20" Grizzly for around 2 years, hoping the planets would align and I would find a good deal on one. Is your Powermatic a version of the Grizzly, or a tru Powermatic made here in the States? Would love to have one, but just can't afford it. I actually went to the auction to purchase a 37" Perfomax double drum sander they had. I stopped bidding at $1100. It had alot of miles on it, but figured I could fix anything that went wrong with it. I spoke with the winning bidder after auction. He said they are over $5000 new now and would have gone to $2500 to get this one. Boy, the wife would have been upset if I had out-bid him on that one. LOL. Not sure if it is poor form, but I will share anyway. I won the bid on the planer at $400! I found the Northwood in a magazine from the late 80's, it was advertised for $6700. Feel like I done pretty good. The Grizzly I had my eye on was around $2000 and then they get you for another $250 to ship it. As long as I can find parts for this monster, I will be happy. Luckily the blades are the standard 24"-1-1/8"-1/8" most machines that size have. With the knife grinder built in, I figure I wond need to change them often anyway.

I just got a J roller so that I can apply some Formica to a craft table top for my wife's craft room. Reeks of rubber, but it seems sturdy enough for the job.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubbs View Post
    David,
    Very nice Quincy compressor. 4 cylinders too, wow. I have never seen one with fresh air intake like that.
    Motor appears to be 3-phase. Must be 10 HP or more?
    I will remove the intake and simplify but 25 hp and 85 cfm. Dave

After much thinking,,,,,,,,an Easy Cope.....

I have a whole kitchen of cherry crown molding to do & @ the price of cherry crown, I can't afford to screw up.

I've done a lot of painted crown, but, this will be my first natural finish crown.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Lie-Nielsen Model Makers's block plane.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Those are handy if coping isnt something you do very often,

If you have an angle grinder, it can also be helpful when coping, using either two abrasive disks back to back or an abrasive pad. If you can secure the material with a clamp its surprising easy to control the grinder and remove the necessary material.