Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unisaw that got away

The Unisaw that got away

I saw an ad on CL for a $200 Unisaw yesterday. I emailed the seller right away and told him I'd pick it up after the kids went to bed, which was the earliest I could possibly go. About 2 hours before I was going to leave he texted me to say he sold it bc he needed it gone asap. I asked him if 2 hours really mattered that much and he didn't reply.

It wasn't the best Unisaw by any means, but it would have been a fun project to clean up and flip. It was a Rockwell branded, 1.5 hp 1 phase, one wing, Beis looking fence. If it was a bullet motor war time saw, it would have been a tougher pill to swallow!

Oh well, I know the early bird gets the worm and all, but I hoped he'd be a stand up guy and hold it for the first person who said they'd take it. I've been in his position before and have held the item, but I guess I expect too much from people.

I'm sure a lot of you have had the same thing happen.

I replied to a local CL ad for a unisaw sitting on a pallet with a power feeder lying beside it for $190. Someone leased some warehouse space that had "junk" in it that the previous tenant left behind. I couldn't get there fast enough to be the lucky buyer.

John

Wow, that would have been a gloat!

From the seller's perspective, I can't tell you how many people would be there at x:xx that didn't show. 2 hours I probably would have held it but it would depend on the situation, including my perception of how serious the person is. Obviously that's tough from email and text. For example, right now I've got a dishwasher listed and have had a call and 2 texts on it. The first text was non-committal, sometime this evening so I told them I was around but couldn't hold it. Caller says he'll be here at noon so I'll wait for him. Third person texted they would like to come buy it as soon as they get off work at 5:00. If the 12:00 guy doesn't show, I'll probably tell the third person to come at 5:00. Not too concerned about getting it out of my garage because if none of them show, I'll put it out in the driveway tomorrow morning since there's a sub-wide garage sale.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't hold it against him... the number of times I've had people who claimed they would be there ASAP flake out on me numbers quite high. For all he knew, you were just one of the masses.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Don't get me wrong, I can see his side, but I was clearly serious. Multiple texts asking for clarifications, told him why I couldn't come right away, etc.

As I said, early bird gets the worm. And it's his item to sell and his rules.

And the wife is probably just fine that the deal fell through!

I've been there Matt and it stinks. I have found myself grumbling all day about one or another, but have come to just shrug it off and think this wasn't meant to be. You seem to have a good eye for these things and I'm sure the right machine(s) will come to you in time.

Doug

I would of sold it to the first person there with the cash. Way too many people say I'll be right there and never show. That's why I hate selling on CL.

Red
    RED

Thanks Doug! I agree, I tried to cover up my grumbling yesterday but I'm over it. Wasn't meant to be as you said.

Red, I understand that line of thinking, but if you had numerous discussions with a buyer and it was clear they weren't the stereotypical CL flake, I would hope you would hold it for a couple hours. But obviously some people disagree.

I sell on CL and will hold things for a buyer until a designated time. None of that "first person here with the cash gets it" BS. Frequently I'm an hour or more away from the item, and won't make the drive unless the seller says he will hold until I get there.
    If the buyer doesn't show, you still have the item so nothing is lost.

Numerous emails or texts is different, then I'd definitely hold it 2 hours. A text or email saying I can come at 5 vs a call from someone who asks questions and says they are going to leave in 15 minutes, stop at the bank and be here in about 30...I'll take the one from the caller.

And I'd never tell multiple people they can come now, but first one here gets it. That's different entirely.

I called the guy and he didn't answer, but he responded to a text almost immediately. A lot of people prefer texts, but I think calling can build more of a repor so that's what I tried first.

Someone is going to be lucky when I sell of my WW equipment. I am 72 and do not know how much longer I will keep it up. I have lost interest in a lot of it but I still need to make things at times.
    I bought a Delta cabinet saw made in the USA new in 1988 and it still runs as if it were new.

Here's why don't usually the "in a few hours thing"....on my dishwasher the noon guy was a no show by 12:50 so I text the next in line, he calls, sets a time, I hang up and literally right then the first guy knocks on the door. Wanting to avoid confrontation with someone standing on my doorstep I let the first guy buy it anyway and texted the second back what happened. He probably feels like Matt right now.

That's fine Matt, we'll have to agree to disagree.