Thread: Big lumber storage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big lumber storage

So what do you guys use to store 100+ Bf of various wood? How deep/long? I have a wood rack right now that has 5 different levels, but only 20" deep with 16" between, it works great for holding misc but not so much for bulk. As always pics would be great!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Mine is even more shallow. The 2x4s on the wall of my shop where I have a bench for the CMS and RAS were almost all doubled. So when I put 7/16 waferboard on the wall, I drilled it for pieces of 3/4 conduit. They are about 20 inches long so they project about 16 inches. The rack is about 11 feet long. I may not have 100 bd ft on it but if I don't I'm close. I just built this recently but I am hoping having the boards above the crosscutting equipment will be handy. Before I built this, I stood the wood up in a corner of the shop. In my old shop, I had a rack above the garage door that held a lot. I don't have the ceiling height for that in this shop.

If at all possible, I would store vertically.

I had a bunch horizontal. I am sooo glad to not have to go through all that again-moving all that to even look @ a board.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I store vertically. I have the same racks (3 of them) that Home Depot uses. 12' long. You can scrounge through them pretty fast if you stack in neat rows.

My 4th rack is horizontal pallet racking. Wood on the bottom of those racks ain't going anywhere too quickly.

I think I paid $250 for each rack set. (Yes, $1K in racks)

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 06-04-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typos

The binding keeps them stable from falling sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post

The binding keeps them stable from falling sideways.
    Dude-is that at your house? That is a respectable stash!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Yes, at my house, maybe a 1/4 of the stash.

I wouldn't mind going vertical but I'm stuck with 10.5" ceilings, and I don't want to be limited by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    ...I'm stuck with 10.5" ceilings, and I don't want to be limited by that.
    That's pretty limiting, all right.
    Chuck Taylor

My ceilings are 10' and most of the wood falls in under that category. The longer boards are placed in open ceiling areas. In the first pic the wide mahogany boards behind the ladder and the 12/4 walnut in the foreground are 12.5'. In the second pic, the padauk ranges from 11'-13'.

I have 8 horizontal shelves - 6 of which are on hollow core doors on HD wall shelf standards with the extra hanging bracket at the top (all are lagged into studs at multiple spots) and shelf brackets are 24" long under the door. Each shelf bracket has 4 points that clip into the wall standard and has a triangle support under it. I am supporting 8' lengths on those 6. Two more are in another garage and they support up to 16'. Those shelves are built into wall using 2X4 material.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have mine stored in a 20' shipping container. It isn't completely full but I calculate it to be about 15,000# or so. It keeps me in shape selecting boards.
    Rollie

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Kelly View Post
    I have mine stored in a 20' shipping container. It isn't completely full but I calculate it to be about 15,000# or so. It keeps me in shape selecting boards.
    Rollie
    I've thought of doing something along these lines... I do have a 12' lean to on the side of the shed that I've thought about closing up and using for storage. Anybody work at a shop that uses a forklift to stack?