Thread: Northwood 24 SLG Wood Planer

Northwood 24 SLG Wood Planer

Greetings All,
    I purchased this planer at an auction two weeks ago. Was just too cheap to pass up. I was planning to purchase a 20" Grizzly with the spiral cutter head, but when I seen this planer going so cheap, I just couldn't stop myself.
    Anyway, I have spent the last two weeks trying to find any info it I can. I contacted Wilke in Penn, but he didnt have any info either. I was under the impression it was the same as the Bridgewood models he once carried. He informed me they look similar, but are not. So if anyone has any info they could/would share, please contact me. I posted over on OWWM, but was spanked rather badly for asking about non-American made machines.
    And for all those that prefer American made cast iron. I have a 20" Parks, it just doesnt compare to this monster IMHO. And I purchased the Northwood for half what I gave for the Parks.Northwood.Planer.jpg
    Thanks, John...

When you crank the bed up, do all the clocks in your house
    run backwards? I believe one of these was parked near
    the CERN project when the Higgs Boson was found.

How on Earth did you move it?

I would contact Northwood. They appear to be still in business, although no longer in industrial machine imports. They branched into CNC machines when the import market started shrinking in the early '90s.http://northwoodmachine.com/company/company-history. Maybe they could provide you with an owner's manual?

However it turns out, that looks like huge chunk of iron. Is it 3 phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    When you crank the bed up, do all the clocks in your house
    run backwards? I believe one of these was parked near
    the CERN project when the Higgs Boson was found.

How on Earth did you move it?
    Was set on my trailer with an endloader. Pulled it off my trainler with 580 Case backhoe. I built a stand for it and it is not to hard to move around. I had a cover made for it and it will live under my covered porch for the foreseable future.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I would contact Northwood. They appear to be still in business, although no longer in industrial machine imports. They branched into CNC machines when the import market started shrinking in the early '90s.http://northwoodmachine.com/company/company-history. Maybe they could provide you with an owner's manual?

However it turns out, that looks like huge chunk of iron. Is it 3 phase?
    That's another reason I purchased it, and got such a good deal. I was looking it over before it was auctioned and notice the front tag stated 3-phase and 10 HP. I noticed the motor was 7-1/2 HP and single phase! At some point, it had been changed over. Win-win for me. Being the person of low moral character I am, I didn't share this information with any of my fellow bidders. I did have trouble sleeping that night. LOL

Good buy! and with a blade grinding attachment too.

I have a 20" Northwood LS20A planer that I bought new about 30 years ago. It's been a great planer and the table casting is beautiful which is more than I can say for the table casting on my Parks 18" bandsaw. The Parks was cupped about an 1/8" so I had to send it back and have it re-ground. It is also a very amateurishly made bandsaw. I've never had any problems with my planer. The planer that you have pictured is way more massive than my 20". I do have a manual but there isn't much useful information in it and it wouldn't really be applicable to your machine.