Thread: Tiger maple?

Tiger maple?

Seen at Home Depot among their otherwise plain maple boards. 1x6 by 8 feet. No idea of value but the maple boards that size are 29.00. Thought it might make a nice box or something. So, is it tiger maple and worth that amount?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I guess that would be 4 board foot making it $7.25 a bd ft if I "figured" it correctly. I paid around $8 a bd ft last time I bought it. The figuring looks good from the pic to me. Good find a HD but I don't think it's the bargain of the year.

Feel fortunate. The HD and Lowes in my area only have pine, red oak, some very limited cedar and poplar. You want anything else you're out of luck and the prices are just nuts.

My local hardwood supplier has curly maple for $14 bf. And it doesn't have nearly the strength of curl that that board you found does. I personally would be all over that and any other they have in the bin.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I've never seen a board like that at HD. I would get it, and figure I could find a use for it later.

Grab it.

Snuck down the grading line, and made it into the BORG sort bin.

It happens. Not often, but it happens.

Likely at a maple mill that does not routinely process curly maple - nowhere to go with it in terms of a standard pull - so it just goes with the rest by grade.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Starts at about $7.00 per bd/ft out by me. If it was at HD it was probably planed to 3/4(ish) so you are a bit less than 4 bd/ft but you won't get a break for that as that is not how they charge. At the yard where I source stuff it is about 1.125" rough so if you are resawing for veneer or something like that your yield is greater.

If you are close to a decent lumber yard that has a good supply I would likely be a pass - meh at best. If not, might as well pick it up as the figure does look quite nice - you will use it somewhere.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

This is the cutoff scrap from the board I paid $8 bd ft for to compare the figure.

image.jpg

My home depot has stuff like this once in a while for about the same price as OP.

Almost every time I check at Lowes there is at least one curly maple board in the bin. Once I even found five in one visit, including a 1 x 10 eight feet long. The price is high for regular maple but not bad at all for curly. I made my kitchen table our of curly maple boards I got at Lowes. I have never found any at Home Depot.

Blog Entries
    Where I buy my hardwood, there is no difference in price between plain maple and tiger maple. A 1 x 6 S4S maple board would sell for $2.31 a lineal foot or $4.62 per board foot. The lumber supplier supplies mostly to contractors and they tend to stay away from the curly maple as it doesn't blend in as well in trim and such in houses. I can usually hand pick all the curly boards I want for no extra charge.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Okay, went back to return something and got that board and a couple more. They had some others but not as nice. Not at all sure what to use them for yet. Maybe not a great price but not something I've ever had or have local access to.

Blog Entries
    I've scored a few that way. Congrats.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Solid wood, not veneered plywood?

You get the best weather and wood, too?

You suck.

[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2426656]..........the best weather........... /QUOTE]

That is arguable, Jim...............weather in NW Ark ain't no picnic..........compared to Mass, maybe.....
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.