Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This upset me- Woodshop News marketing campaign

Blog Entries

This upset me- Woodshop News marketing campaign

I got this in the mail. It appears official and says it is a "professional audit." I have been through an audit, and the word does not bring happy thoughts to mind. Although I figured it was some junk mail, I said a little prayer as I opened it. It turned out to be a marketing campaign to try to get me to sign up for Woodshop News. Fail!

The sad thing is, If they had just been up front and said "Subscribe to Woodshop News," I might have been so inclined. A magazine for professional woodshops would be cool, but not if they resort to spammy marketing campaigns.

My opinion is that a good marketing campaign doesn't start with scaring the person and end with making them angry. I have never seen the publication. They may be the best magazine ever, but sadly I will never get to find out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 06-05-2015 at 9:45 AM.

Its' been many years, but I recall that if a direct marketing campaign can get you to open the envelope, by any means necessary, the odds of boating the fish goes up tremendously. It rises from infinitesimal to barely measurable, but that tiny bump makes a big difference, on the scale of their operations.

The methodology used on you seems too sleazy for my taste, though. I'm with you - they would have blown any and every chance for now well pat the horizon as far as I am concerned.........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Call their offices and ask for the editor, telling the receptionist you are calling from the local ER with some bad news you can only discuss with him.

Yes, Audit is one of those drama words in our society that everyone is aware of.

They must be desparate @ the magazine.

Call and tell them that if they are so desparate, send you 6 months free to see if you like it. More flies with honey, right?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Woodshop News is largely an advertising rag targeted to professionals and businesses, with some informative content as well. It is free, relying on advertising and marketing for its revenue. The so-called "audit" is how they gather the info to convince advertisers and marketers that they are reaching the target audience. If that practice is objectionable or seems slimy to you, stay away from them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Call their offices and ask for the editor, telling the receptionist you are calling from the local ER with some bad news you can only discuss with him.
    Matt for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    ... It is free...
    No, it's not, at least not for non-business subscribers. I just ended my paid subscription for it. I wasn't getting enough value out of it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

My rule about handling unidentified letters is this. I look at the area where the postage goes and if it doesn't say first class, it is instant trash. If it is first class, I look at the return address and if I don't know or can't identify the sender, then it usually goes in the trash as well. I do open credit card offers and shred the pre-printed part that has my name on it. I don't want anyone to send off for a credit card in my name.

If it is something that comes with a pre-paid return envelope, I have been known to grab some miscellaneous trash, stuff the envelope full, and return it to them...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I understand you, Malcolm! It must be a "good surprise" for you... What a strange marketing campaign! They always try to find unusual ways to achieve their goals. So what did you decide to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morris View Post
    So what did you decide to do?
    Do? DO???? Malcolm lives south of margaritaville........his response is fairly predictable, I should think.......

I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    If it is something that comes with a pre-paid return envelope, I have been known to grab some miscellaneous trash, stuff the envelope full, and return it to them...........
    I always do that. Every single credit card solicitation I get goes into the mail with junk stuffed into it. They don't have to pay postage until the postage is actually used. If they're going to waste my time having to shred their offers, I'm going to waste their money sending them garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    If I get two or more pieces with pre-paid envelopes, I send one company's junk to the other and vise versa.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I agree is it a foolish marketing ploy, but really... is that the most upsetting thing to happen today!?