Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G0766 - Actual toolrest stop measurement

G0766 - Actual toolrest stop measurement

I took the time to actually measure the tool rest dimensions. The tool rest on my G0766 actually sits below the center line [measured with spur center in spindle, from the point to the top edge of the toolrest] in an amount of 5/16" below the center line.

This is not too bad.............consider this.......as your rest gets nicks and dings in it, the recommendation is to take a file and smooth those out, which will of course take off a little metal.......in time that will add up.

If you feel like yours is too high, then take a measurement like I mentioned above and then post what your results are...........measure carefully, so we can get an accurate spec.....we can compare notes, and also if you feel like yours is just a bit too high, then you have the option of filing down the top of the rest a bit as well.

Aftermarket rests with no stop machined in the post, will not matter as long as the post is long enough. I took the time to take a 1" silver and deming twist bit in the drill press and put some oil to aid the cut.......the hole in my banjo is now 1" and slick and smooth.........if you decide this is what you want to do with your unit, then just be careful doing this and clamp that banjo down securely. I had to put mine on a block of wood to allow it to sit flush because of the clamp bolt underneath.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-06-2015 at 1:40 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mine is 9/32 below center. This is way too high and there should be at least an inch of adjustment down, shaving a bit off with a file is not going to cut it. It is an item on my issue list that is getting emailed to Grizzly. Overall I am happy with the purchase, just a few things that need to be addressed.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Mine is 9/32 below center. This is way too high and there should be at least an inch of adjustment down, shaving a bit off with a file is not going to cut it. It is an item on my issue list that is getting emailed to Grizzly. Overall I am happy with the purchase, just a few things that need to be addressed.
    I agree, that we need more downward adjustment in that toolrest!

My Grizzly toolrest broke after a year or two, as did those of several others. Maybe it's different on the 766. Unless there's something special about it, I'd be considering aftermarket rests right away.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    My Grizzly toolrest broke after a year or two, as did those of several others. Maybe it's different on the 766. Unless there's something special about it, I'd be considering aftermarket rests right away.
    Yeah, Doug........my original broke on me on my G0698 as well.......it was my fault, though. I was turning way out on the very end and got a big catch........that made the cast iron post snap...........that does not happen with solid steel posts! I am going to get a couple of new rests, but want the original with the 0766 right as well..........have to see what Grizzly says about the situation to know how I feel about this in the long run!

Mine is 1/4" below center. Id definitely like a little more adjustment.

Just initially after getting the lathe set up and using it...........I have tweaked my unit to suit myself, and the only thing about the lathe that is not super good at this early point is that toolrest. If they had just machined an addtional 5/8 to 3/4 inch more into that post, then my particular lathe would have been perfect.

I am waiting to hear about the toolrest issue from Grizzly and see what they say about it. Of course I had already planned to get a couple of Robust rests anyway for it, so that is not going to be a prohibitive issue for me, but I do want them to either send new rests or find a way to credit us, so we can have it machined down locally.

I too am at 5/16". A little lower is needed.

Red
    RED

I urge you to report this issue to Grizzly Tech Support, ASAP. I was the first to report it and there was a bit of hemming and hawing if anything was going to be done as no one else has logged the problem. He will kick my request up the chain, however, if we don't have a volume of us making it known we are unlikely to get a resolution. For me, the stock rest is near useless without the additional travel. Please contact them.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

10. I just had a long conversation with tech support.........this tool rest issue will go up the chain to higher ups. The tech support guy has a process he has to go through on this and I shared a couple of solutions with him.........he does not have authority to make the final say, and has to pass this to those who do, but he understands the issue as he is a turner himself and also a metal lathe user..........he will make sure the higher ups understand what should be here, and I will be sending him some pics for the activity reference number on this matter and there will be followups.

First of all, thanks guys for raising the issue to Grizzly-- for those of use still waiting to receive our lathes, the sooner Grizzly knows of the problems, hopefully the quicker they are resolved.

Secondly, I am waiting on my lathe to arrive near the end of this month (should be in the warehouse on the 22nd at last check). This is my first lathe, so I don't have the arsenal of accessories most of you folks have. Do you think it's worth getting a 3rd party rest now so I can have it ready when my lathe shows up? If so, should I stick with the 25mm size, or are most rests going to be 1" and I should just go that route and drill out the existing hole?

I just sent an email to Grizzly in regards to the tool rest height issue. Other than that I love the lathe so far.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    First of all, thanks guys for raising the issue to Grizzly-- for those of use still waiting to receive our lathes, the sooner Grizzly knows of the problems, hopefully the quicker they are resolved.

Secondly, I am waiting on my lathe to arrive near the end of this month (should be in the warehouse on the 22nd at last check). This is my first lathe, so I don't have the arsenal of accessories most of you folks have. Do you think it's worth getting a 3rd party rest now so I can have it ready when my lathe shows up? If so, should I stick with the 25mm size, or are most rests going to be 1" and I should just go that route and drill out the existing hole?
    If you will go to Robust website turnrobust.com. there is a link to toolrests........notice at the bottom of the page there is a comment that they can special make 25mm posts on their rests for Grizzly lathes & others. That being said, for me personally, I want the 1" as I already have other accessories of that size, and want to stay consistent. Just know that if you stay with the 25mm, not everyone else's accessories may fit, but the 1" is pretty much standard now, so that is why I enlarged the hole in the banjo, and did a very smooth job using my quality bit and drill press with some cutting oil.

In my discussion this morning with a member of tech support, I agreed to do a "before and after" email with pics to Grizzly about the tool rest. Mine is currently at a local machine shop, and I will pick it up tomorrow, if all goes well. They are a very busy shop and had a lot going on with big items like the frame of an 18 wheeler, doing repairs and a number of other industrial/farm related items. My little "take a bit off the rest down to the post diameter" is pretty small beans!

From what the shop foreman told me the repair would be around $60...........not sure what rates others may encounter if they go the way I am going.

I proposed two solutions to Grizzly.......one have everyone send in their rest for these and have Grizzly machine them down........if they do this, they will incur the cost of shipping, and all the logistical issues of shipping around the country. The other thing I proposed to the guy, was that Grizzly issue some sort of credit to the owners with this problem and allow them to go to their local machine shop and have it milled.........seems like to me that would be less costly than all the logistical issues and shipping associated with Grizzly doing it themselves, but then I do not know their internal thinking on things like this.........

We will see what sort of responses that Grizzly gives us related to solutions to issue.

15. The second option requires me to waste my time locating a machine shop and then hope they are willing to do the work for the amount that Grizzly deems necessary for the credit. The best solution in my mind is for Grizzly to just send me a rest that actually works and if they want this one back, send a return label with it.