Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0766 Video - Motor Noise

1. Wow, the tool snobs have been dying to see a Grizzly lathe have a problem so they can jump on here and start bashing. Ive come to the conclusion, this lathe could be perfect in every way and you still couldn't convince some of these people because they just have the mentality that since they spent more money, theirs has to be better. Its actually quite comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Wow, the tool snobs have been dying to see a Grizzly lathe have a problem so they can jump on here and start bashing. Ive come to the conclusion, this lathe could be perfect in every way and you still couldn't convince some of these people because they just have the mentality that since they spent more money, theirs has to be better. Its actually quite comical.

This seems to be solidly a motor issue with the added possibility of a noisy VFD not being entirely eliminated in my mind. Both third party assemblies used by Jet and PM amongst others. Unless somebody can come up with some proof otherwise I strongly suspect shipments of these third party components come in bulk and then are all grabbed off the same shelf to put in at least a half dozen brands of machinery. Luck of the draw if a bad unit ends up in a high end or midrange unit.

The only real issue that is Grizzly related is tool rest height. Could be a few reasons for that. I have the same issue with my tool rest on another brand of lathe. Have to reconsider the angles you are cutting at but the tool rest could be well above or below centerline and you could turn just fine, you would just have to get used to the different reference to centerline. I prefer the lower tool rest so I will make it happen. I prefer the one inch banjo, I will make it happen. Talking maybe an hour's work being generous. I have owned a lot of equipment over the years, I can't think of a single piece that didn't need a little tuning or tweaking to suit me best.

Hu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I suspect they will take your motor apart in house and replace bearings and check it out well, as they have an extensive shop to do just that ........
    Grizzly has shown their motor-repair shop in the ads for some years now. The ability to do "inhouse" items like that is part of why Grizzly has a reasonable rep.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Wow, the tool snobs have been dying to see a Grizzly lathe have a problem so they can jump on here and start bashing. Ive come to the conclusion, this lathe could be perfect in every way and you still couldn't convince some of these people because they just have the mentality that since they spent more money, theirs has to be better. Its actually quite comical.
    I've heard stuff like this my whole life. Chevy vs Ford, Camaro or Mustang, yada yada yada, it will always be there. Thank God we live in a place where we can have and express our own opinions without fear. I would've loved a Mercedes back in the day, but learned to love the Chevy Nova that I could afford.

5. As I said before I hope everyone gets what they wanted and ends up with a satisfactory product. Congratulations to everyone who bought a new lathe.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-10-2015 at 1:49 PM. Reason: removed non-germane comments
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford View Post
    As I said before I hope everyone gets what they wanted and ends up with a satisfactory product. Congratulations to everyone who bought a new lathe.

Ummmm,

I Guess this means the fish aren't biting down at the lake?

Hu
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-10-2015 at 1:47 PM. Reason: edited deleted quote

Well the motor went out today, took over 48hrs and 2 additional phone calls to get a shipping label issued. They should have it Friday, probably another 2 weeks until I get it back.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

8. Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Well the motor went out today, took over 48hrs and 2 additional phone calls to get a shipping label issued. They should have it Friday, probably another 2 weeks until I get it back.
    James, did they ask for the entire headstock or just the motor? I ask because I wondered about how confident you are that you narrowed it down to the motor...........in your post, it sounded like you had a pretty good handle on it, as you stated the noise was coming from the fan end of the motor.

I know the Grizzly technical folks have extensive knowledge on motor rebuilds and such........they will give that motor a complete going through!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm confident it is unrelated to the headstock, same noises without the belt attached. I just hope they have ability to fix the electrical whine.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I'm looking forward to hear what's going on with it.

What serial number is your lathe? I'm wondering if your lathe was built as one of the first or later in the run. Mine is 10007 so it is early in the run. Just wondering if this has anything to do with anything.

Red
    RED

I certainly hope your right.
    I can't help but think that loud whine is coming from the VFD or one of it's components. To me it sounds like an electrical "whine."
    I wish that Grizzly had asked for the entire headstock so they could check all possibilities.
    I do think the motor is making a noise though.
    One way or another I hope you and Grizzly get it worked out and soon.

12. Mine is 10041 in the manufacuring chain..........everthing with mine is good, once I got the rpm sensor remounted from where vibration caused it to come loose.

Red, mine is number 5.

I suppose it could be the VFD causing the electrical whine, but all the noise was coming from the motor. Trust me, I checked where it was coming from several times in hopes it was an easy fix.

14. Mine was number 33. Interesting that the first shipment that only contained 20sum lathes has serial numbers 5-41 in it. Seems like there must have been a nice pile of lathes already built and they just didn't ship them all at once.

15. I think it is the way they got loaded into the containers for shipment......first out of container first shipped to customer. At the factory, they were just probably lining them up, and not in sequence, and forklifts just grabbed what was next on the floor in shipping area.