Thread: Outfeed Table For A Sawstop

Outfeed Table For A Sawstop

I just finished assembling a Sawstop PCS with a 52" fence. My next order of business will be to build an outfeed table. The L shaped rail on the rear of the saw should provide a sturdy base to anchor the table. My concern lies with the thickness of the rail shown between the blue lines on the image. This will leave a gap of over 1/8" and serve to trap sawdust and anything else that falls in there.

IMG_2015.jpg

Has anyone come up with a creative solution to deal with this gap?

You could cut a rebate on the underside of the top where it joins the saw if you want to totally eliminate that gap. You'll have to calculate the exact measurement directly from the machine. Make test pieces first!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am just finishing my out feed table on my 36" PCS. I built a table using 4x4's for legs and a sheet of melamine on top of a sheet of mdf for the top. I wrapped the edges with a price of cherry to clean it up a bit. I just made the chery trim fit on top of the L bracket and fit flush up against the saw. You could do something similar and make a small lip that fills in that gap. I'm really not worried about it. Now I'm just finishing up the bench by addi d a bench crafted leg vice to the side and add bench dog holes to the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the perfect solution for you. Take a look at this outfeed table built for a SS:

https://youtu.be/4k4hFLzXPOA

It's a multipart series and shows you how to build it. I'm thinking of building something like this for my TS as well, which is a PM2000 52".

Blog Entries
    The gap is a non issue IMHO. I did this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...le-Drawer-Unit

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The gap is a non issue IMHO. I did this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...le-Drawer-Unit
    Glenn, how much room is left behind your table saw, where you feed the stock from?

I'm contemplating an outfeed table, but my shop is very small. It looks like you only have 3 feet there to feed the stock into the blade?

7. I built a folding out feed table for my saw. I initially built a large rolling table but that turned into a handy assembly table and was always covered with stuff when I wanted to use it for out feed.

Check out Laney Shaunesey's video on the design
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6s3rzF8jg

I've found the gap to be no issue on my PCS. The dust collection is very good (I use the blade guard dust collection too) and I don't get too much dust on the table. I just blow off the saw with compressed air after use and it stays mic and clean.

This should do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Jim, the distance between the top of the saw table and the top of the angle iron is 1/32" so cutting a rebate would be dicey.
    Kent I'm probably going to build something very similar to the one in the video. Unless I missed it, Stephen didn't address the gap caused by the L bracket.
    Steve, your table looks fantastic. I don't have any "furniture" in my shop !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Glenn, how much room is left behind your table saw, where you feed the stock from?

I'm contemplating an outfeed table, but my shop is very small. It looks like you only have 3 feet there to feed the stock into the blade?
    The white foam panels I use for cutting sheet good are creating a bit of an illusion there. They just happened to be leaning against the door when I took the pics. I have 60" from the saw blade to the door. This meets most of my needs; for longer rips, I open the door. Having had this configuration for awhile I would like another foot about 5% of the time but, this small amount of the whole makes me unwilling to sacrifice the real estate of my general assembly/work area ;-) There are several fold-down options for more restricted areas. This is part of what led to my outfeed/assembly table/drawer unit combination. It projects from the rear rail about 33-1/2" but, my ducting runs between the base and the saw to about 8" of that was in use already.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-09-2015 at 8:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another vote for not worrying about it. If you're accumulating enough dust there for it to be an issue, I think you should solve the problem at the source (dust collection).

Even when I can't collect dust at the top of the table, like when using a tenoning jig, I've never had a meaningful amount of dust accumulate in that area. And it the rare case that it does, just clean it out. But for my SS with an extension table, I haven't had this issue ever.

If you're still worried about it, consider spacing your filler piece away from the angle iron on the side and bottom. It would take a ton of dust in order for enough to accumulate and interfere. And if it gets that bad, again, you have a dust collection problem you need to solve anyway.

Vote # 3 for what are you worrying about?

A 1/8 gap by 1/32 deep is not going to be an issue.
    If it is, then just fill it with some wood filler.

Get to work!!

Foam rubber weather stripping will fill that joint, but like others have said, having a gap there isn't all that bad... also I would put a 1/4" bevel on the leading edge of the outfeed table- this will help keeping thin pieces that may want to warp from getting caught on the edge of the outfeeds table , and not only would the bevel give up a ramp it will also allow some place for sawdust to accumulate, which will make it easier to vacuum or brush out.