Thread: How to build a 38" Diameter Segmented picture / mirror frame.

How to build a 38" Diameter Segmented picture / mirror frame.

I have a potential customer asking if I can turn / build a 38" picture frame similar to one pictured. This one was just under my lathes max of 14 inches.

How would you do this ?

How much would you charge?

Thanks,
    Tim2015-02-09 20.54.20.jpg

Tim, I hate to sound like a salesman, but in my Volume 8 DVD, I show the assembly and turning of large diameter rings (up to 46"). Regarding cost, it would partially depend upon wood species. It would also depend upon how many layers of rings you stack into the assembly. I would recommend not building this with just one segmented ring; three brick-layed rings would be much better.

Router and jig, but then it wouldn't be a turning.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Hey Malcolm, Thanks for the feedback.

I can imagine how much stronger a 3 layered design would be. I currently own volumes 1-5, perhaps this project will allow me to purchase the rest of your dvds.

Tim

I figured the router would be an option, I'm not so sure I want to be standing in front of a 38" spinning segmented piece.

Thanks Doug,
    Tim

I don't think Doug meant to use the router on the lathe while the piece spins..he is saying ( I think) to skip the lathe..make the segmentation and use a router to round over the edges.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Morning Michelle,

I do understand the method using a router requires, I've worked through the project in my head and it's doesn't seem to difficult.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim